Options

Pneumatic tongue jack tires (revisited again)

2»

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    TerryV6 said:
    Two fellow campers checking out Dales latest mod...

To funny😂😂😂😂
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited August 2018
    I guess sometimes we more or less just end up back where we started from, but with greater knowledge & wisdom. (And a garage full of wheels. 😉)
    Now, what am I going to do!  Should I try out that pair of 8" wheels or return them?  Hmm.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    And Dale chocked the wheels for safety! That "trailer" ain't goin' nowhere.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    There will be an array of "mod wheels" for purchase at the next T@B Rally! :fearful:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    I got these 8" tires & wheels..
    Marathon 2.80/2.50-4" Pneumatic (Air Filled) All Purpose Utility Tire on Wheel, 3" Centered Hub, 1/2" Bearings https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BH4IZ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Tn3BBbBKSKZRM

They are 4-ply, 30 psi tube tires, so flats can be easily fixed.  They have a 1/2" axle size, so I used a piece of half inch copper pipe as a spacer inside the fork.  They also have a grease fitting, so the first thing I did was to fill the bearings with grease; and while I had the grease gun out, I also greased the T@B's bearings as well as our 5x10' utility trailer which has a grease fitting similar to the T@B.  Our Helman rear scissor jacks with my support bracket mountings were handy for jacking the wheels up off the ground so I could turn them while applying the grease.

Agree with Dale that they might take a bit more effort to initiate swiveling of the wheels.  In this position, for example, you might have to start moving forward before moving to the side instead of trying to move directly sideways.
    Still, I think they will be useful for repositioning the trailer on gravel or soft ground where a small narrow wheel could hang up on a rock or sink into soft ground.  I may get a chance to try them out at a campground next week.
    Also shown is the footplate we keep on most of the time while parked or traveling.
  • Options
    @BrianZ
    Please show me what you ended up with for scissor jack brackets.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Hey, @Dalehelman, maybe you didn't see this topic I posted, but I apologize if I didn't tag you in it..

http://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/7345/frame-support-bracket-for-rear-scissor-jack-levelers-mod

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    edited August 2019
    Bumping up as I was about to tackle this project and ran into a snag.

I have 10” Harbor Freight pneumatic wheels, a 5/8” x 8” bolt & matching nut all on hand. Took apart the stock wheel and found that the holes for the axel/bolt are definitely too small for a 5/8” diameter bolt. Assuming I need to drill them out? Or can I get away with a 1/2” diameter bolt even though the HF wheel takes a 5/8”? I’m thinking there must be a reason that won’t work, but I’m trying not to buy a 5/8” bit for a one time use.

Edit to add: Currently looking at 5/8” OD to 1/2” ID bushings to get around this. Any reason not to?
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    I am not at home right now. Get back to you in an hour or two.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    I am not at home right now. Get back to you in an hour or two.
    Thanks, Dale! I’m trying out the 1/2” x 8” bolt with the added bushings and the original wheel as a spacer now, and it *seems* to be fine. Let me know if there’s a compelling reason this is a bad idea.

The Purpleline mover does OK with it even when turning so far; I do have their dual caster wheel too, but that tends to slip a little on the slick pebbles of my aggregate concrete driveway. I’m hoping this will do a little better there and on gravel campsites.

2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I drilled out 1/2” to 5/8”
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    If anyone is interested in my dual pneumatic wheels assembly shown in my last photos above, PM me.  I'll include spare inner tubes.  $20 plus shipping.  I've switched to these..
    Heavy Duty 6" Dual Wheel for Trailer Jack 2000LB Capacity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MWHZGGX
    I liked the 8" pneumatic tires, but the ones I  switched to are more compact for storage inside our small tongue box, plus they give us about 1.5" of lower height for the tongue if needed for leveling.
  • Options
    MAGMAG Member Posts: 10
    Dalehelman - Where did you get your urethane wheel with ball bearings?
  • Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    MAG said:
    Dalehelman - Where did you get your urethane wheel with ball bearings?
    I’d like to know this as well.  I need something to make it easier to maneuver the jockey wheel in soft ground and can’t use a pneumatic tire because this area has a lot of Goathead plants with seeds that puncture tires.  Last month, I got the wheel stuck in soft dirt while trying to move the camper 180 degrees and luckily, a neighbor camper helped move it into place.  I'm going back to that campground in a couple of weeks and need a better plan.

Oh, and if you’ve never seen Goatheads........

Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • Options
    Harbor Freight 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    Does anyone know where I can get these parts? I'd prefer to not disassemble
    the existing wheel.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    After trying several different ideas for moving our Tab over soft terrain this is what has worked best. A single wheel and 2 Camco jack pads. By moving one pad in front of the other as I move the trailer I can position our trailer almost anywhere I need it. Assuming your site is some what level.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    We had to use a piece of sheet vinyl flooring last week to move ours into its hibernation location.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.