Options

ground clearance on T@B 320-S

I'm getting ready to purchase a lightly used 2018 T@B 320-S.  Have many people had trouble with low ground clearance?  I plan to camp mostly in State and National Park campgrounds, but you never know when they might be full and you need to pull down a remote side road. Is it really necessary to get an Outback?

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    You only gain about 4 inches extra clearance with the boondock model.  You need to consider your TV/hitch clearance, too.

If you are routinely on deeply, rutted dirt roads where the crown of the road is raised, you will benefit from increased clearance.  Or in very rocky areas where the road is eroded with rock exposure, you will benefit.  But, my bias is, if you think that your regular use 95% of the time will be on even terrain, don’t try to plan for an extreme contingency.  One full-time Tabber out west who camps essentially exclusively on BLM land - not campgrounds - does it with a non-Boondock model and a Jeep.  

We have a CS -non-boondock model and have camped in State, private and BLM campgrounds.  We have not had problems and we tow with a minivan with a low rear bumper whose hitch probably has the least clearance available to TVs.  We moved our tire from under the Tab and carry it on the roof of the van or inside the van.  When entering a sloped driveway (like a gas station) it helps to slowly approach it at a sharper angle.  

Hope this helps. 
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    You only gain about 4 inches extra clearance with the boondock model.  You need to consider your TV/hitch clearance, too.

If you are routinely on deeply, rutted dirt roads where the crown of the road is raised, you will benefit from increased clearance.  Or in very rocky areas where the road is eroded with rock exposure, you will benefit.  But, my bias is, if you think that your regular use 95% of the time will be on even terrain, don’t try to plan for an extreme contingency.  One full-time Tabber out west who camps essentially exclusively on BLM land - not campgrounds - does it with a non-Boondock model and a Jeep.  

We have a CS -non-boondock model and have camped in State, private and BLM campgrounds.  We have not had problems and we tow with a minivan with a low rear bumper whose hitch probably has the least clearance available to TVs.  We moved our tire from under the Tab and carry it on the roof of the van or inside the van.  When entering a sloped driveway (like a gas station) it helps to slowly approach it at a sharper angle.  

Hope this helps. 
    "Only" 4"?  That's actually quite a lot, IMO.

Personally, I'm a little surprised clearance has not been more of a problem on my T@b, but I only take it to campgrounds. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    I have the 320S and camp mostly in State parks so far. Clearance has never been an issue for me. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red