Options

Battery charging from TV

2017 T@B 320S, 2015 Ford F150- Will the TV charge the battery no matter if the selector switch is in the on or off position?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    edited August 2018
    I know the manual says that it will, however:

1.  It does not make sense that it could charge as the circuit is interrupted with the battery cut-off switch turned off
    2.  You would never want to tow with it off as the break-away brakes are dependent on a complete circuit to the Tab battery
    3.  It is a typo in the manual.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 590
    Manual is incorrect and confirmed by NuCamp. Selector switch must be ON for TV to charge battery. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    scaupscaup Member Posts: 81
    Thanks. Thru trial and error we found that the switch needed to be on for charging from the TV. Just wanted to verify.

Seems like the same would be true when charging from shore power but when charging from solar (we have the Zamp) it wouldn't make any difference in fact it seems like the Zamp would charge the battery faster if the selector switch was off because there would be no transient draw on the battery.

By the way, the manual that we got from the place we purchased the T@B seems to be really lacking. I checked the manual again and I see nothing (incorrect or otherwise) about selector position location.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    @scaup, the port on the side of the tub to plug in your panels connects and charges your battery directly and yes, if you eliminate any draw during charge, you should see a quicker charge.  The cut-off switch has no bearing at that point as it only impacts loads at the junction box and beyond.  I think of it as isolating the battery.  If you isolate the battery (cut-off switch turned off) you can not charge via shorepower or TV, but you can charge directly if your solar charge controller/panels are wired directly to the battery.  

The online manual may have been updated.  I will need to check.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio