Options

My Norcold Exhaust Fan "Hack"

I am aware of the Norcold 3-Way Fridge Exhaust Fan Kit discussed in this forum starting back in 2015. What I did not know is if this kit is available for the 2017 T@Bs.

In the meantime, we were struggling to keep our Norcold cold here in TX, and given that I had some PC case fans sitting around unused AND I wanted a simple, non-intrusive method for powering those fans (I did not want to cut/splice into any wires and risk voiding warranty), I came up with the following “hack” (and yes, it is a hack), as a quick workaround for lowering the heat on the countertop we were seeing/feeling and to help the Norcold cool in the high heat when we camp.

Prior, we ran the Norcold on the highest setting and the unit struggled to keep temps in the mid to upper 30’s. Now we run the Norcold on one snowflake once the unit is cooled to maintain temps in the mid to lower 30’s (still tuning, a whole cucumber froze on the last trip).

The downside to the technique is that if we are OUT and the campground loses power the fans will continue to run (as would the A/C DC exhaust fan). I’d think a normally open AC relay when not energized as an inline switch to the DC circuit could solve that.

These fans are installed on the upper exhaust vent and are positioned to PULL heat out from the cooling fins, thereby aiding convection from the bottom exhaust vent. I thought about installing a PUSHER fan on the bottom vent, but I don't think it is necessary given our performance.

Anyhow, I thought I share the pictures.

On my list of todos here, clean up the DC wiring source, add the AC powerloss relay, and perhaps a switch like that in the kit that I read about on this forum.
2018 T@B 320S, a.k.a. The 4th Bedroom/2018 Toyota Tacoma SR5

Comments