Options

New T@b 320S Owner

dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
Hi Everyone, just wanted to join this forum and have been reading many useful things on this site.  I just picked up a brand new 2018 T@b 320S recently and have had it about 2 weeks so far.  Unfortunately for us we have had a ton of problems and issues, leading to tons of frustration.  First off we had a water leak under the seat which I did not see when I turned on the water pump for the first time.  The next day I decided just to look under where the ALDE system is and noticed a puddle which had soaked into the wood paneling overnight.  After cleaning that up I noticed one of the plastic PEX pipe fittings was loose and not fully seated, after seating it properly no more leaks.  Then next after running my AC unit for a couple of hours I noticed my seat cushion under the AC unit was all wet and soaked, and water was dripping down from the tray.  Upon closer inspection I noticed a fine crack on the edge of the drip pan.  I took the AC unit out and used OSI quad shield caulk from Home depot which is a poly caulk to seal the entire tray.  I also glued the hairline crack, no more leak after that.  After this we had a heavy rain storm and so I decided to check everywhere to make sure no leaks.  Well guess what?  Under the seat where the ALDE system sits is another puddle of water!  I could not figure out where this came from, so next time it rained I sat inside looking and found that water was leaking in behind the lip of the outdoor shower.  I looked on the outside and noticed that the caulking had peeled away very slightly.  I removed all the old caulk and pulled the outdoor shower off and no caulk was found behind it.  I added a bead of caulk under it and screwed it back on, next I re-caulked the lip of the outdoor shower.  No more leaks now.  A few days go by and I notice a ripple in the ceiling in the kitchen area, looks like it is delaminating and bubbling all up, I was not happy, so I called NuCamp and they said lets see if it gets worse and at least they have it on record for the warranty now.  Ok no problem I think, lets see what happens.  After a couple more days of hot weather I start noticing the floor bubbling up. I look and no leaks anywhere that I can find, it also was not the vinyl floor but rather whatever they use as the underlayment under the vinyl that has started to bubble.  Next I find my solar controller from the factory installed solar system is not working correctly, and I cannot connect to it via bluetooth either.  At this point I was rather disappointed and very unhappy.  I did not contact my dealer as I felt all these repairs, especially the flooring and the ceiling are way to complex and technical for them to handle to my satisfaction.  I called NuCamp and reported all these problems and they recommended I talk to Marvin in the warranty dept there.  A day later I receive an email from him stating that they are not going to repair my camper, but rather give me a brand new one!  I was so happy and shocked by this, but so grateful that I chose to buy from NuCamp rather than another brand.  Even though this is a huge inconvenience to have to go through all of this, I am very happy with the way they are handling this situation.  This is a company who does right by the customer for sure!  I was told my new one should arrive in Sept sometime.  Has anyone else experienced any of these issues I had?  From what I have researched these issues seem very uncommon, and unfortunately I think I just got a lemon.  I guess it can happen sometimes, oh well.

- Dave

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @dhauf, first, welcome to the forum, the t@b family and congratulations on having purchased a trailer from nüCamp. So sorry to hear of your troubles. I truly think that the plethora of problems you are experiencing is rare. Essentially, our trailer has been flawless from day one. We had 4 minor items in the first year that were covered under warranty. These items literally were so minor, I would have been happy with our trailer if nüCamp hadn't fixed them, but they did, completely. I know of other owners who had multiple defects and flaws at the onset of t@b ownership who also got replacement trailers. Those circumstances are extremely far between, but it is wonderful to know that you purchased a lemon from a gem of a company. You may end up with an invaluable diamond. I know the folks working for nüCamp are focused on providing the best customer service anywhere. They think of us as family, and treat us as if we are.
    -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Welcome to the forum and OMGosh, horrid problems. I'm so glad you talked to Marvin and you were proactive despite your heroic efforts to stop leaks. Keep us informed!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the support! I will keep you all updated.  So far NuCamp has been great and I really appreciate the way they are handling this.  There are some unknowns that I would still like answered, and I am sure they will when they know also.  Such as when they swap the camper do they have you keep the same VIN#(as far as I can tell the VIN is just on stickers on the camper)?  I have full insurance coverage on it so i'm sure i'll have to swap that over.  Also will they re-register the new one for me?  Will the warranty start over with the delivery of the new camper?  We are not using the one we have currently since we don't trust it with the many problems that are going on.  But if I can't use it until I get the new one in September it would only seem fair that the 1 year warranty would start over with the new unit, and I imagine it will.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    dhauf said:
    Thanks guys for the support! I will keep you all updated.  So far NuCamp has been great and I really appreciate the way they are handling this.  There are some unknowns that I would still like answered, and I am sure they will when they know also.  Such as when they swap the camper do they have you keep the same VIN#(as far as I can tell the VIN is just on stickers on the camper)?  I have full insurance coverage on it so i'm sure i'll have to swap that over.  Also will they re-register the new one for me?  Will the warranty start over with the delivery of the new camper?  We are not using the one we have currently since we don't trust it with the many problems that are going on.  But if I can't use it until I get the new one in September it would only seem fair that the 1 year warranty would start over with the new unit, and I imagine it will.
    Sorry to hear about your problems and obviously anyone with a chain of events as you've experienced would be disheartened, but nuCamp does stand behind their warranty.  I have seen them go above and beyond in many instances as I know they care and they do pride themselves in building a quality product and ensuring customers are well taken care of and that they are completely satisfied with the product and are "happy campers."  

Each new trailer is assigned a separate VIN number, so your new trailer will have its own individual VIN number.  And yes, your new trailer should begin anew with a new warranty.  I'm sure that nuCamp would have no issue with you holding onto your trailer until the new unit is completed, but you should continue to correspond and communicate with Marvin Raber and make your intentions and wishes known to him so that an easy handoff and swap can be arranged.  

Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum!  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ktsamektsame Member Posts: 39
    Good to hear about NuCamp's responsiveness.  I am in the process of purchasing a 320S from a dealer in New York and while they were prepping it for pick up, noted a bubble in the floor.  It is supposed to be picked up by NuCamp and repaired at the factory but the dealer is still waiting for pick up.  The camping season is quickly slipping away for this Central New Yorker:(  I am trying to be the squeeky wheel but not getting too far.  Keeping my fingers crossed that I see some progress soon.  @dhauf good luck with your newest T@B.  I am finding this forum to be very helpful:)

Kathy 
    2018 T@B 320S - Cl@ra

• Options
    ktsame said:
    Good to hear about NuCamp's responsiveness.  I am in the process of purchasing a 320S from a dealer in New York and while they were prepping it for pick up, noted a bubble in the floor.  It is supposed to be picked up by NuCamp and repaired at the factory but the dealer is still waiting for pick up.  The camping season is quickly slipping away for this Central New Yorker:(  I am trying to be the squeeky wheel but not getting too far.  Keeping my fingers crossed that I see some progress soon.  @dhauf good luck with your newest T@B.  I am finding this forum to be very helpful:)

Wow I really hope it goes well for you as well, I am sorry to hear this also.  It seems there was a defect in the underlayment they use under the floor on some models which caused warping and bubbling from what they told me.  Thats the problem I am currently facing as well, once they take my old one I will not be able to use it.  Also even if they let me hang on to it, I really don't want to use it until I get my new one since I don't want to be liable if something happens with it in the meantime.  Sounds like they are going to give me a 2019 model, and Marvin told me today they will transfer the same VIN number to it so I do not have to re-insure and register it.  Not sure how that works.  I will update everyone as I get more information, it may be helpful to the next person that has to go through this.  Marvin also told me today that they would like me to bring the old one up to the factory, but I don't find this acceptable as it is over 9+ hours from me.  Not to mention I would have to take time off of work(I a self employed so no pay) plus the gas to get there and back.  I emailed him back today to let him know I could not do this.  I could understand if I caused these issues and they offered to repair but I had to bring it up there, but this is obviously a defect for which I should not be inconvenienced for.  I am actually kind of surprised that they even suggested this, I am hoping I don't have a problem with this.
  • Options
    Thanks for that but it is looking like I will be asking for a refund.  The timeframe for repair will not allow for camping this season and it doesn't make sense to get it and then store it for the winter.  NuCamp gave me the option to pick it up as is and repair later but I don't feel comfortable driving a brand new trailer off the lot with a damaged floor!  At one point, I was looking at the Mini-Max but thought the T@B was a better choice - may need to re-think and start shopping again:(
    Kathy 
    2018 T@B 320S - Cl@ra

• Options
    ktsame said:
    Thanks for that but it is looking like I will be asking for a refund.  The timeframe for repair will not allow for camping this season and it doesn't make sense to get it and then store it for the winter.  NuCamp gave me the option to pick it up as is and repair later but I don't feel comfortable driving a brand new trailer off the lot with a damaged floor!  At one point, I was looking at the Mini-Max but thought the T@B was a better choice - may need to re-think and start shopping again:(
    I don't blame you, at this point I am starting to regret getting this camper.  Now they are telling me I have to drive all the way to Ohio to drop my old defective one off, then come back when the new one is ready to pick it up.  I was happy with the resolution of them giving me a new trailer, but I am not happy with how they are handling the way we swap trailers at this point.  I emailed Marvin again to let him know.  They did offer to pick up some of the travel expenses but I am self employed, I would loose a few days of work and not be paid, plus our tow vehicle was recently rear-ended as well so it will mostly likely be at a body shop for a while.  So that means more expense in me having to rent a truck capable of pulling this thing all the way there not to mention the gas it will take.  At this stage I am not pleased, this was not my fault!  This is a lemon.  They should be arranging pick up and drop ff of the old Camper.  I just don't get this.  I am more that happy to bring it to my dealer which is still far away but closer than Ohio.
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    @dhauf - "Marvin told me today they will transfer the same VIN number to it so I do not have to re-insure and register it.  Not sure how that works.  I will update everyone as I get more information, it may be helpful to the next person that has to go through this."

I am very interested in this statement! I am currently working with Marvin with a 400 exchange due to floor, ceiling and Alde elevation issues and was wondering how that will work. Marvin told me he will contact my dealer (50 miles away) once the 2019 unit has shipped and let me know the particulars. 

Would it even be legal to apply a 2018 VIN to a 2019 unit? 

I found out my state DMV wants $218 to register a TT. I am sure the dealer would want a whole lot more, even for a unit they did not sale directly, this is really just an exchange.

I have yet to inquire with my insurance.

Good thing I do not have a loan on the 2018 400, or it would be another issue to figure out.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    edited August 2018
    LSkrabut said:
    @dhauf - "Marvin told me today they will transfer the same VIN number to it so I do not have to re-insure and register it.  Not sure how that works.  I will update everyone as I get more information, it may be helpful to the next person that has to go through this."

I am very interested in this statement! I am currently working with Marvin with a 400 exchange due to floor, ceiling and Alde elevation issues and was wondering how that will work. Marvin told me he will contact my dealer (50 miles away) once the 2019 unit has shipped and let me know the particulars. 

Would it even be legal to apply a 2018 VIN to a 2019 unit? 

I found out my state DMV wants $218 to register a TT. I am sure the dealer would want a whole lot more, even for a unit they did not sale directly, this is really just an exchange.

I have yet to inquire with my insurance.

Good thing I do not have a loan on the 2018 400, or it would be another issue to figure out.
    @LSkrabut I'm so sorry to hear about your issues as well! I can sympathize with you, the worst part is the 400 costs even more that the 320. These are definitely not inexpensive campers, so I sure hope that everything works out for you as well.  I wondered about the VIN transfer as well.  I looked everywhere on mine and all I can find is stickers with the VIN number.  All I can say is if they do have to transfer the VIN on the camper, then I think it would be only fair for NuCamp to pick up the cost on that as well.  I am in the same boat, I paid the cost of mine up front, so no loan.  Agreed though, that would be very annoying to be paying on it and not being able to use it or even having it.  I am already kind of upset I have to pay the insurance costs and not be able to use it.  If you get your replacement before I get mine (mid sept) let me know how it goes.  Thats why I reached out on this forum to see if anyone has been through this before and how it all went.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    ktsame said:
    Thats a bummer, sorry to hear that.  Hopefully you can find another one nearby.  I did see the mini max also, but since I am using a full size sedan as my TV, I stuck with the 320 for the lighter tongue weight.  I have a max tongue capacity of 330lbs, my class 2 hitch is rated for 350lbs.  Felt it was the safer option for me.
  • Options
    It turns out that nuCamp will be sending their technicians to the dealer to repair the floor so it looks like we will get this trailer - hopefully in 1 to 2 weeks.
    Kathy 
    2018 T@B 320S - Cl@ra

• Options
    ktsame said:
    It turns out that nuCamp will be sending their technicians to the dealer to repair the floor so it looks like we will get this trailer - hopefully in 1 to 2 weeks.
    Hey that’s great news!  So far so good with me as well.  I still have my 2018 unit but they are going to build me a brand new 2019 since mine had so many issues between the water leaks, flooring bubbling and ceiling problems(so happy about this resolution).  I have been working with Marvin who has been very good at communicating with me via email and very helpful.  @Michigan_Mike has also reached out and been so kind as to help me out as well through this process.  I am glad to be a part of this kind community of people and I’m so glad I went with NüCamp instead of another brand, I can only imagine the headaches I would be having otherwise.  I realize this is a rare circumstance with my trailer and this is not a common thing.  I did hear about the flooring issue from Creed who mentioned he has seen it in a few units including the 400’s but is not common and once they fix it, it should not return.  

@ktsame is the one you are getting a 2018 or 2019 T@b?
  • Options
    It is a 2018.
    Kathy 
    2018 T@B 320S - Cl@ra

• Options
    Well good news on my new T@b!  Marvin informed me that my 2019 replacement should be done by Sept 3rd!  Now just have to figure out the transportation, but I'm excited to get my replacement.  I haven't used the 2018 since I had so many issues with it.  I waxed it and cleaned it all up and put a cover over it and put it in storage for the time being.  Hopefully I will be able to get a couple fall trips in before the end of the season.  To clarify NuCamp has been excellent throughout this whole process so far and everyone here also has been great and very helpful, so thank you all!  Its a nice community of people to be a part of.  I hope NuCamp always keeps their level of service high, it really sets them apart from so many other cookie cutter companies that just make a product and then want nothing to do with them when you have issues.  Keep up the awesome work NuCamp!
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Well I am supposed to be picking my new baby tomorrow.  I will be meeting up with Austin who is bringing it up for me.  I am so excited to finally get my replacement.  NuCamp has been wonderful through the whole process and I appreciate everything Marvin did for us as well.  I also talked to Austin who was wonderful as well and very kind.  Kudos to NuCamp for the excellent service.  Marvin sent me pictures of our replacement today.  Thanks to all on this forum also for the help also!

• Options
    So met up with Austin today (such a nice and great guy!) we swapped out trailers and I am happy to report the new one is perfect!  We brought it home today and chilled in it this evening and tested everything out.  We are so happy and grateful to NuCamp for getting this sorted out for us! Special thanks also to @Michigan_Mike for checking in with us as well and helping us out.  Marvin was excellent in helping us through this stressful process and helping our fears and anxieties melt away.  The 2019 also has some nice new upgrades as well such as a better entry way step, the outdoor light is now yellow to keep bugs away.  The solar system is also better with a bigger panel that is one piece and located up front now.  I also was surprised to see that they have ditched the SRNE controller which was just ok to the Victron Energy 75/10 MPPT controller.  The overall quality seems to be so much better than our 2018 model prior.  Anyway if anyone else has to go through this process rest assured they will take care of you!