Options

Yet another table slat project

RadRad Member Posts: 516
edited March 2015 in Trailer & Towing
We are heading off to Big Sur this weekend and since we did not like the big table and installed a small table we need to be able to set up a full size bed. Dragging in the big table to set up the bed is just not an option, we tried that.

As many others have done, I did the slat thing.  I could not find matching Birch so I went with poplar. It comes pretty darn close to matching.  

I went with stainless steel hardware.  

I  used pine 1x12's since they don't show.

A nice feature is that our table breaks down in seconds and stores under the bed slats when the bed is made up.

Comments

• Options
    remphotoremphoto Member Posts: 11
    This is great!  Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Rad,
    A couple of question. Where do you store the slats when not in use? Also, hard to tell from photo, is the passenger side cleat just above the warm air  outlet slot?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    sabel said:
    Rad,
    A couple of question. Where do you store the slats when not in use? Also, hard to tell from photo, is the passenger side cleat just above the warm air  outlet slot?
    I have not decided where to store them, they do fit in the seat compartments.  

The heat slot is partially blocked; however, on mine the heat slot was already partially blocked by the wood frame behind it. I did not notice this until I started this project and got down at eye level with the slot.   I may at some point remove my slat support on that side and trim about 3/8" off the bottom, or just enlarge the heat slot to get the max heat flow, unlike the factory set up.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Quick pic to show how they fit in the passenger side rear under seat area.  They also fit under the seat by the door; but, I use that one for things I need to access often so it is not an option for me. Also, when placed in the one by door nothing else can really fit in there with them.

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    Did you use wood screws to secure the rails to the plywood or install bolts through the rails and use nuts and washers inside the benches? Also in terms of the floor mounted post support, a similar question, did you use screws or bolts?
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    mawebb said:
    Did you use wood screws to secure the rails to the plywood or install bolts through the rails and use nuts and washers inside the benches? Also in terms of the floor mounted post support, a similar question, did you use screws or bolts?
    Size #10 Stainless steel wood screws, 1 1/2", for the slat supports with stainless steel finishing washers. Stainless steel screws for the table support.  The floor made me nervous because it is just foam, not wood.  I think the floor screws were 3/4 " and as beefy as would fit in the mount.  I also made smaller pilot holes in the floor and filled them with non-adhesive silicon caulking then mounted the base.  It is very solid, I'm pleased with it.
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    The information and photos are extremely helpful. I am adding it to my list of projects for the T@B. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Very nice.  I need to review your pole and its purchase as well as the screws.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32