Options

Installed inverter and outside outlet

ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 273
This is the first of several mods I'm doing this summer. I recently installed solar panels on the T@b and I wanted an inverter. For now, I settled on a 1000w unit. Should do all I need it for except power the Keurig. That will come later when I update the battery. I was going to install it in the rear passenger side storage area but I felt that just would have required too long of a cable run from the battery. The shorter the better. I installed it in the electrical compartment. I also installed an outside electrical outlet because my T@b was made before they started offering it and I wanted a way to plug my toys in to charge them outside the camper. I wired it using an extension cord as the power cord so I could plug it in to the inverter or house system depending on where I'm camping. Here's a bunch of install pics.

First, I crawled under the camper to look for a place to route the cables. While under there, I noticed the drain shown in this pic coming through the bottom of the camper. There is nothing under the camper immediately behind this drain so I figured it would be a good place for a hole.

I designed and 3D Printed these passthroughs. They sandwich the wires and protect them from abrasion. Yes, the floor is that thick in that area. I should have made them another 1/4" longer for better poke through.

Here they are mostly installed. Just need some screws and silicone. I used a lot of silicone on the bottom side to seal them.

Next, I 3D printed these standoffs for the Inverter tray to get it above the existing wires and installed the tray followed by the inverter. The extra wires coming off the back of the inverter are for some extra USB outlets I'll be installing.

The system is wired in to the battery via a 150a circuit breaker. This way, the system is protected and I can turn it off whenever I won't be using it to eliminate any drastic drain. 

Now comes the hardest part (hardest by the fact that it takes a lot of courage to make a big hole in your beautiful camper). I used a 1 3/4" hole saw. Those side walls are thick. I had to use a longer drill bit to get the pilot hole all the way through.

Outlet installed. I used a household style waterproof outlet cover because it had provisions for mounting a round outlet. I need to paint it white to match the rest of the exterior.

Finally, I created and printed a cap for the inside hole so nothing can bump against the electrical connections. The outer skin is so thick that the outlet didn't stick all the way through.

That's all for now. I'll post the rest of my mods as I complete them.
2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole

Comments