Options

Sun shelter canopy over the door

TinnitusTinnitus Member Posts: 26
New member here. Newish owner of a 2015 320S. 

I've been giving some thought to buying one of those 10x10' popup sun shades of the kind you see at outdoor sporting events, and pushing it up against my trailer door for shelter from, well, sun, of course, and light rain.

Anybody tried that? Had any luck? 

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Many folks do something similar. However, many of the standard 10x10 shelters are a bit too short to allow the door to open, so you'll have to set it on some Waffle blocks to allow the door to open underneath it. (and run your long tent stake through the holes in the waffle blocks)

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Here’s one discussion that might interest you: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/94661#Comment_94661
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    jgram2, that's just the info I was looking for. Thanks!
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    You’re welcome. I think I searched on 10x10 canopy, maybe best canopy. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    @Tinnitus, for what you describe the PahaQue awning serves the purpose, goes up and down with little fuss, won't budge in nearly any weather condition, and packs up nicely.
    Of course, it's also pricey and a little more confining than a pop-up canopy. I guess it depends what your priorities are.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    gymcoachdongymcoachdon Member Posts: 54
    I set my T@B up like that last weekend.  The canopy is an ABC Canopy, I believe it is the "King Kong" model.
    You can see that the height is just a smidge low for the door, but we didn't do anything, and had no problems.  you could easily fold and clip that section up a little if you are worried about it catching in the door.  We had it set a little bit away from the T@B, as there was no rain in the forecast.

2016 T@B CS-S
    TV 2007 F150
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Welcome @Tinnitus! Many have done what you’re asking about. Some have also purchased half patio umbrellas with stand for a smaller covered area. I usually use a tarp awning I made, but I’ve also put my 13x13 popup over my Tab 320S when there was no shade in July. You can pretty much do anything that works for your needs. That’s the beauty of it all! Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Hello again.

I finally got around to buying one of those 14x14 footers from Walmart for the little extra height to clear the door. It doesn't seem to be noticeably more of a challenge to put up than a 12 footer, and I'm intrigued by the possibility of getting the entire T@B under it!

To do that, of course, I would have to have to ask for a couple of volunteers at the campgrounds to each take a leg to lift it over. But I don't suppose that will be much of a problem. 

My wife and I are trying it out this weekend in the Smokies. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,650
    Zombie Full Employment Awning!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited September 2018
    Tinnitus said:
    Hello again.

I finally got around to buying one of those 14x14 footers from Walmart for the little extra height to clear the door. It doesn't seem to be noticeably more of a challenge to put up than a 12 footer, and I'm intrigued by the possibility of getting the entire T@B under it!

To do that, of course, I would have to have to ask for a couple of volunteers at the campgrounds to each take a leg to lift it over. But I don't suppose that will be much of a problem. 

My wife and I are trying it out this weekend in the Smokies. 
    When I put my 10x20 OVER the T@B. I just set the two front legs on bins to raise them up a bit, then push the T@B under, then lower the legs.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    edited September 2018
    @Tinnitus it takes just two to lift a leg each over the Tab. The rest will follow... :) Four would be a nice luxury though! Oh, and if your campsite view needs adjusting don’t forget you can turn your Tab for the best view(works best on hard ground though). It catches the big rig owners attention because they can’t do that!  =)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Just got back from a two nighter in the Smokies. It rained yesterday evening and through the night and the 14' span kept things remarkably dry, considering there's no sides. 

I learned that the fabric at the edge will stretch and I can scoot it about a foot over the top of the trailer to reduce drips upon opening the door.