Options

Some info from the more experienced.

I'm trying to spec out a 2019 T@B 400 and have a few questions for more experienced members.  I'm thinking I can do without the microwave, inverter, and entertainment system.  The microwave and inverter are added-cost options and there should be some reduction in cost without the entertainment system.  The outback package is of interest, but it appears to be mostly appearance.  The increased ground clearance might be nice but as far as I can see the "pitched axle" is just the torsion axle rotated as it attaches to the frame--adds height but no greater wheel travel.  The more aggressive tires are useless on non-driven wheels.
Am I correct in thinking shore power will run all of the electronics/outlets/electrical systems in the T@B even without an inverter?  If I do not have shore power, I expect an appropriate sized inverter generator (mostly to handle the AC) will do the same, will it not?
I'd like to hear your opinions about all this.  All my previous experience has been tent camping from the back of my pickup.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The pitched axle is actually I different axle. I originally did not have a pitched axle and made the swap. The off road tires give you additional tires and will hold up to rocks, better. The front rack is very much an excellent storage option. Beyond that, the rest is mostly appearance.

Correct, all 110 appliances run on shore power.

If you primarily dry camp, the boondock option is very helpful. If you camp at parks with shore power, mostly, you won't need the boondock option.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    I'd keep the inventor, it's a useful part of your solar package. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,666
    Unless you are plugged into shore power or your generator, the "household" 110 outlets do not provide power. 

The installed inverter would be quite handy when the trailer is not plugged in.  As Homebodyatheart points out, the inverter would be a useful tool as part of the solar package.

I carry small inverters that plug into the 12v cigarette plugs for my various battery charging needs, laptops, etc. when I'm out in the wild with just the trailer's 12v battery providing power.  Several owners have installed their own "hard wired" inverters in various spots in their 320's.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    We have a 2018 400 with Solar and inverter and really appreciate the flexibility of being able to camp with or without shore power. The solar keeps up nicely with the refrigerator, entertainment and lights. IMHO I couldn’t imagine being without inverter. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    @pthomas745 This is one of the reasons I love the forum, didn't even know there was such a thing as a 12v plug-in inverter. I too would like to charge my laptop. Looking at reviews on Amazon it seems to be a common complaint that the inverter they purchased isn't strong enough to charge their laptops. What brand & model did you get? Thanks.
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    OK, I see the point about the inverter.  I was thinking that I would either be on shore power or a generator.  Now I realize that there will be times when I don't have shore power and don't want to run the generator.  Even the quietest generator makes noise.  Sounds like an inverter and a small suitcase solar system is the way to go.  Assuming I'm not running the A/C, would a 90 amp solar panel be sufficient to run the refrigerator and keep the battery topped up?  I doubt anything short of a rather large array could run the A/C as well.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,666
    edited August 2018

300 watts is strong enough to run my laptop, charge batteries, phones, etc.  Small, low wattage stuff.  Amazon has many others just like it.  They should provide the 12V plug cable, and alligator clips that will go to a battery, etc.  This one is about the size of a paperback book.  (I just noticed it is not available, but they are all pretty much copycats these days!)

I also carry a 1000 watt inverter that can only be used directly connected to my car or trailer battery for the rare high wattage thing I might want to use.

For your laptop, you can also buy a 12v charging adapter that will go right into your 12v plug. This one is for my Asus. 

And, now you get to closely examine the "wall wart" power adapter for your laptop to determine the power it uses to run.  Of all the things I use in my trailer, the laptop uses the most power.  At night, I use a the "battery saver" settings to conserve power.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,502
    @falcon1970, you can’t run air cond. with batteries/inverter.  You need a gen. for that.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,497
    ACOPOWER 120W Portable Solar Panel,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074ZR3RNP?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
    @falcon1970 this is my new solar setup. I don’t do a lot of dry camping, but it works well and is really lightweight! Good luck with your decisions!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red