Options

Traveling with Mandy and Kendrick as they make their epic journey

TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
Now, I am sure that most people here are aware of this travel event and have watched the videos on her blog.  They (Mandy & Kendrick) will travel from northern Alaska to southern Mexico.  This is great stuff.  At the bottom of the page on this link, you can subcribe to the newletter and follow along...

https://www.roamingwithrocky.com/blog/north-to-the-future-1

Mandy is up to episode 5.  They had to first travel from home to their start point, a trip total of about 4000 miles. 

So far, I am starting episode 4, on the Dalton Highway.  In the first three episodes you will find some tips on preparation and also some helpful websites..

Feel free to comment and follow along as they travel 1000s of miles... Whew!

I love the family visits, mountain views and the great beer...
Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
T@bbey  Road   
Appleton,  WI

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    edited August 2018
    @TerryV6, thanks for sharing this.  Seems I have not had a moments rest since uCamp and I have yet to plug-in to their trip.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    It's been fun to follow along! Wait until you see what Kenrick eats in episode 4. Hurts just watching. I saw episode 5 last night--absolutely fabulous photography. She did answer my question of bear spray, and they both carry it.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    This is the first I've heard of it.  I may have to check it out.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    They are an amazing couple.  I met Mandy at the Ucamp rally.  She had helped us in choosing a bike rake.  I can't remember if Kendrick was there.  Don't think so.  
    I don't think I would have attempted the food challenge.  That was way too much burger.
    I agree, the photography was amazing.  I don't think I could do this much traveling.  Maybe at a younger age..
    And was I the only one who wanted to wash Rocky ( the camper, for those who don't know..)?
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    rkj_ ,  I love your travel posts and think you would enjoy this.  Some of the views in her videos are breath taking and I wish they were photos I could copy for my desktop wallpaper.  I know she has an extensive collection on her site for sale.  I'd just be using them as temporary wallpaper.  Our last wall calendar was purchased thru Mandy.  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @TerryV6 I saw it last night and really enjoyed number 5! Alaska is an amazing state!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    TDR920TDR920 Member Posts: 4
    I just picked up my T@B last week and have been reading the manual, but have watched Mandy's videos in the past.  I found it ironic that nüCamp is one of her sponsors because in their manual they state that you should not live in your T@B full time because it could cause deterioration of the structure and possibly void the warranty etc.  lol.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    And you are writing this because......
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    @TDR920, I noted the irony as well.  I am sure, just like any good company with a smart CEO and lawyers, the quasi legalese was deemed necessary.  Rather than identifying how overuse will effect each major system, they simply say - don’t do it!  Kind of common sense, afterall, it is not built like a house!  Having said that, I think it is a testament to nuCamp’s use of quality construction techniques and materials that they do hold up well under constant use.  

And Mandy (Kendrick, too!) is a great ambassador of nuCamp!  I don’t spend any time watching other company’s RV videos, but I suspect not too many actually sponsor a polished, articulate, passionate 30-something that appeals to exactly the age sector they need to attract and grow in numbers to continue expanding product lines.  Besides she wears cool tights and has tattoos!  Yes, I believe they found a very talented, gold mine in Mandy.  Oh to be young and adventurous again!  I’ll just have to settle for adventurous.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I spoke to Mandy and Kendrick as they were leaving the rally and spent some time with her during the rally discussing the trip.  It's an ambitious adventure for sure.  I've done the Alaskan segment and there's no doubt about it, it's breathtaking traveling up the AL-CAN Highway and beyond and the Alaskan range mountains are daunting, the glaciers spectacular and the transition into an environment of constant light is eerie, especially walking around at around 10 PM in full daylight and seeing that people are in bed, sleeping and feeling like you're on another planet.  We also stopped off at the North Pole, drove by the air base and then did more exploring.  

Does anyone know their timeline and plan so far as the amount of time they will spend in Alaska and their ending date in the southern most point of Mexico?  The salmon are running in those parts right now and there will be plenty of bear activity so they will get some great shots.  If they drop back down the Cassiar Highway and travel down through Jasper and the Canadian Rockies they will potentially experience some weather as the season comes on quickly and they will need to think about it in the higher elevations.  You just never know up in those parts and we are into September now so things will be changing quickly.  

I wish them well and this will be something they'll never forget.  The Mexico portion will be a challenge and I know they are thinking about that stretch as it's another world down there and they will see and understand the poverty when they cross over the border.  You immediately get it and understand why there is an exodus out of there and into the US when you see the third world living conditions and uncertainty in the cities and surrounding landscape.  As long as they plan ahead and stay in established camping areas I think they will be fine.  But you do see the military presence in the border towns and it is scary to put it nicely and isn't a country I plan to do any extended travel in with the drug activity and desperation and uncertainty that currently exists.  I certainly wish them well and the best of luck in their adventure.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Episode 6 & 7 are up.  The first deals with a plane ride to see the bears.  Beautiful scenery from the air and a good landing by the water.  There are many bears to see, though I’d probably not get that close.  Episode 7 is not as exciting, but does show the kind of equipment Mandy is using and how she gets some of her special effects.  Poor Kendrick had back pain develop.  I know how quickly that can show up out of no where, and how long it takes to go away...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I'd give bears a wide berth too. Especially Harvey when he's on a snack expedition....''

I sure hope that back pain goes away fast!! Safe travels M & K!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Well, I had intended on following along here with their various videos, but I must be easily distracted....  Look a squirrel!!!  
    Anyway, they finished their trip and I thought I'd post the link to their last video as they reached the end of their journey.  They certainly saw and did some incredible things.  

https://www.roamingwithrocky.com/blog/the-final-stretch

I'm sure many here followed along, but perhaps some of the newer people haven't been introduced to Mandy and Kendrick and their great blog and journey.
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    They had an amazing trip.  I’m jealous!