Options

Day 3 of new ownership - part 2

While cruising thru the various forum and trying to soak up the shared knowledge, I ran across a post that said that city water was for drinking and tank water was only for other uses. Is this fact or fiction?

Secondly, I was not aware that the city water connection would not fill the tank. To me it seems odd that the two systems are separate. But then again I'm the newbie.
Gerri (Gary) Ewing
Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    It is absolutely your choice. If I'm at a campground with a water connection, I use the city water and drink and cook, and brush my teeth with it. If I'm at a campground without a water connection I fill my fresh water tank and use it for the same purposes. Water is water to me. I (so far) have had no issues with public water sources.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    And yes they are two seperate systems. The fresh water inlet provides water directly with water pressure to your sink, shower, toilet. The fresh water tank provides water to your sink, shower, toilet by using a 12V water pump.  You don't want the fresh water inlet continually filling your tank.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    (A)  I drink from the fresh water tank.  I also use a filter if filling from a potable water quality hose and add a like 'water freshener chemical' and course plan to clean the tank yearly.  The water can at times taste odd, using the Fridge to chill drinking water helps solve that as does using the water for a mixer.

(B)  Believe they have different fill/use connections to protect and water pump and to keep it simple.  There is no value for the user to switch or an automated value to fail.  And you won't always want to have the city water automatically fill the tank . . . keeps towing weight down.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    And yes they are two seperate systems. The fresh water inlet provides water directly with water pressure to your sink, shower, toilet. The fresh water tank provides water to your sink, shower, toilet by using a 12V water pump.  You don't want the fresh water inlet continually filling your tank.

??
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I mean city water inlet.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    If by chance your tank fills up when connected to the city water connection, it is likely the pump one-way valve has failed.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio