Overloading Your Axle

N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
edited September 2018 in Trailer & Towing
This may be news to some, but a weight distributing hitch can overload your trailer axle, he is speaking of single axles, but it seems this would apply to all. His RV had what amounts to an inadequate Dexter axle from the get go, in relation to T@B trailers I wonder how the axle is sized? Spec sheet says 3500 pounds. He found that weight tag on the axle itself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVg8QgIFJoU
2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have to be honest, I have been alarmed at the rate at which people have been jumping on these without investigating other issues, like the way they are packing. first. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• PieshobbithousePieshobbithouse Member Posts: 17
    You are dead on . Great point. Big vehicle small trailer and its a “s” show.
    2018 CS-S
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,587
    For anyone considering a Weight Distribution Hitch there is an excellent calculator web-site that shows you all the axle loading in a side-by-side format;  WDH vs WC.

You do need to research your TV specifications and do a couple of measurements. You can then play with how much cargo (weight) you are carrying and tongue weight % to see how WDH helps or hurts your specific TV & T@B combination.

Trailer Towing Calculator
    Weight Carrying vs Weight Distribution Hitches
    https://www.ajdesigner.com/apptrailertow/weightdistributionhitch.php 

Example Only
    of one of the outputs

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    jkjenn said:
    I have to be honest, I have been alarmed at the rate at which people have been jumping on these without investigating other issues, like the way they are packing. first. 
    I agree, these weight distribution hitches are unnecessary on a trailer this size given proper loading and a tow vehicle of adequate size to handle the load.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    We Tow level, store the cargo weight on the trailer axle or in front of it, and watch our speed, especially in high winds areas. Those measures are all easily within our control.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner