Options

Roof top solar with Zamp add on

Hey all,   I am wondering if I purchase a 400 with 200W solar,  if I can also utilize a stand alone 200W Zamp solar at the same time.
Not sure if this is overkill,  but probably will not always want to position the trailer in the blazing sun.   Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    I know @Michigan_Mike has a 400 with solar and a backup solar suitcase, so I am guessing it will work.  I am not sure if you can tie into the stock solar charge controller or if you need to use a separate charge controller.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    My T@B 400 came with the factory-installed solar package which includes the SR-HP2440-B PWM solar charge controller. That controller is rated for 40A of input. My understanding is that each 100W of solar panels generates about 6-8A, so an extra 200W of solar panels should be okay to tie directly into the existing charge controller.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Jilong said:
    My T@B 400 came with the factory-installed solar package which includes the SR-HP2440-B PWM solar charge controller. That controller is rated for 40A of input. My understanding is that each 100W of solar panels generates about 6-8A, so an extra 200W of solar panels should be okay to tie directly into the existing charge controller.
    You have to be careful when you pair panels that are not recommended. The general advice Inhave read is that if not identical, it is best to run the 2 different set ups in series. You would be unable to do this with a PWM and some MPPT controllers.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    There is available information out there regarding this approach using different solar arrays to charge the same battery bank and since the Zamp panel is independent of the rooftop system it should work without issues.  The solar controllers are monitoring and reading the same voltage from the battery, both systems are fused (should a short or over voltage issue arise) and would allow the batteries to charge quicker.  Here is a link (Google different arrays charging the same battery or battery bank) that alludes similarly to this same scenario and gives some information to the above.  

https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum/off-grid-solar/off-grid-solar-panel-systems/313556-two-charge-controllers-one-battery
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Oh, I forgot, the Zamp suitcase probably has the charge controller built in, so, as Mike said, you would be good to go.  Just hook up the suitcase directly to the battery.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    I'm so glad to be in this forum and continually learning new things, especially correcting wrong things before I try them on my 4-week-old 400, lol. So thanks to @jkjenn and @Michigan_Mike!
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • Options
    TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    edited September 2018
    I have roof mounted and suitcase works great. 
    The suitcase charges through the 7pin on trailer I can be fully charged by 9am daily.