Options

Tracking Mileage

Does anyone keep track of the number of miles your trailer has been towed?  If so, how do you do it?  Do you just record the TV odometer at the start of a trip and at the end of a trip or do you have anything like a hub meter--or something else.  Or does no one bother?

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    I like numbers.  I like to use numbers. I track towing miles & MPG !

Zero the TV Trip Odometer at hitch up, record when unhitched.  My TV also provides MPG for the trip odometer.  Like knowing how many miles are on the T@B wheel bearing and as the miles add up am getting realistic fuel usage data for future trip planning.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @MuttonChops That was my thinking also.  I track miles, mpg, gas, oil, maintenance costs, and so forth on my F-250.  That way I can keep track of the overall cost/mile.  When cost/mi starts rising it is time to start thinking about a new vehicle.  Using the trip meter would be cheaper than a hub meter--if I can be diligent about recording it.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I have a hub meter, I have spent worse money :)
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    . . . Using the trip meter would be cheaper than a hub meter--if I can be diligent about recording it.

When you do forget to zero the odometer or record the data, Google Driving Route tool will get you near enough to actual.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I did for the first year, just using Google to get the distance to and from our destinations.

But, I was not really using the information for anything, so I did not keep up the habit. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    I don't bother. If I really wanted to know for maintenance purposes I could estimate close enough based on the trips I've taken.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    I use Google maps if I forget to check the odometer when I first get to camp. I use a small camping log book and add the mileage up there. That is more accurate unless I park and stay the whole time. An example is this past week. The campground is 21 miles RT from home, but I drove over 52 as I went into town for appointments. The Tab only went 21. Just my way, do what works best for you. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red