Options

Broken toy(:

Only my second trip with my 2 month old 320s and the lower trim piece behind the tire is crumpled. I'm not sure how it happened.I had trouble backing it up in my driveway as usual, but, I wouldn't think driving onto the grass would do this. The campground that I was at was a lot of hilly dirt roads, but, I never heard anything that sounded like it was bottoming out. I'm crushed and so is my new toy. Where do you get something like this repaired. Has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    @kbrnr can you send a pic of what the area that crushed looks like?  Are you referring to the plastic trim?
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited September 2018
    @kbrnr, so sorry to hear of your misfortune. But, welcome to the forum, the t@b family and congratulations on your trailer!  Yes, sometimes these things happen, although I can't say I've heard of this specific mishap before. Your dealer can repair the booboo, but if it's just trim, and you are at all handy, you can replace it yourself. NüCamp will sell you the parts, and ship them within a few days. There are some detailed threads here about trim replacement with tips from those who've done it before.  Use the search feature in the upper right corner of the screen and try "trim replacement" or "trim repair" to get started. If you are not handy, and more than just trim is damaged, an auto body shop should be very capable of doing the repair, with just a call to the tech at nüCamp for guidance. Again, sorry about how this came to be, but later you'll have a campfire story about your first outing!  Most of us have a few. Good luck.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Sorry for your misfortune.  I think this is something we all fear and is a reason that I like to maintain a good distance away from vehicles in front of me during travel.  All it takes is a piece of tire, tree branch or any loose debris along the roadway to wreak havoc and create damage to a trailer and fender.  I caught a piece of truck tire (“road gator” as Verns calls them) over a year ago on a return trip from Arizona while pulling my son in laws utility trailer and it damaged the diamond plate trailer.  I had to remove the fender and bend it back out.  

Call the nuCamp factory and ask for Elsie Miller (ext. 304) and she will be able to help you out.  

Best of luck to you as this will be a distant memory as you create lifetime memories while enjoying your trailer.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    If you have a CS model with the "flat" rear, it should be fairly easy to repair.  If you have the model with the upswept tail (as I do), the repair is much more difficult if the Keder rail needs replacement.  If it has been, I suggest making an insurance claim and/or taking it to a professional.  The factory will ship a slightly bent Keder rail that does not match the curve of the plastic trim piece.  The rail is very stiff and very difficult to shape.  Not the factory's fault.  A craftsman hand-forms each rail on the assembly line starting at one end.  I found it impossible to repeat this procedure with my replacement Keder rail. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    If the rumple is on the drivers side, after the trim is repaired, you can just leave off the short rear section of keder rail behind the tire.  I imagine most people make use of the passenger side lower keder rail for the tent due to the TaB door.  Although you can put the tent on the driver side, I have only seen the awning placed on the driver side and that does not use the lower keder rail.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    kbrnrkbrnr Member Posts: 9
    I talked to the dealer and they said they could fix it.I hope they make it look like new again.  I'm thinking maybe it bounced on the ground when I pulled it off the grass onto the driveway. It's only a tiny incline onto the grass, but, with the low clearance on these, maybe that's all it took. Thank you all for your help and for welcoming me to the family🙂
  • Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    kbrnr said:
    I talked to the dealer and they said they could fix it.I hope they make it look like new again.  I'm thinking maybe it bounced on the ground when I pulled it off the grass onto the driveway. It's only a tiny incline onto the grass, but, with the low clearance on these, maybe that's all it took. Thank you all for your help and for welcoming me to the family🙂
    That’s a bummer sorry you had that happen, I’m sure it can easily be fixed and the dealer can make it look good again.  I’m guessing you don’t have the outback edition which sits higher so the possibility of bottoming it out is greater.  Let us know how it goes after the repair.  Wishing you all the best in getting it fixed!
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    I guess the other thing to consider, if you think you did this from a bounce, is what kind of weight do you have behind the axle.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    kbrnrkbrnr Member Posts: 9
    It was totally empty. I was actually wondering if it would handle better with more weight in it.