Options

replacing wall roof trim

Our 2016 T@B Outback trim was cracked and its rubber runner had pulled up from the roof on both sides. It's the trim that runs front to back, connects the wall to the roof, and has a rubber seal along the roof. The trim comes in 4 arching sections. I got 4 new pieces, removed the old trim along with the arching metal track that holds it (lots of screws). I figured that when I install the new trim pieces, I won't be able to line it up and reuse the same old screw holes (the new pieces aren't pre-drilled), so I silicone-caulked all of the old holes. I'm getting ready to install the new pieces by pre-drilling holes and screwing them in place, but it will take some muscle to hold the trim in place before I drill and screw, because the new trim has some flex to it and doesn't exactly fit the arch of the wall without some wrangling. Has anyone ever attempted this? Advice?

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I'm pretty sure there are a few here who have replaced sections of their own trim--be patient and hopefully someone will chime in. You might also find something by doing a search.
    This does seem to be a recurrent issue and I understand nuCamp is working with suppliers to improve the fit and durability of the plastic. I also have a crack in my trim but have thus far opted for a patch of black duct tape.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    denlathamdenlatham Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, Scott. We replaced the trim on one side of the camper yesterday. I had to do some hacksawing on the trim pieces nuCamp sent, since they weren't a perfect fit - which is probably why there was a problem with the original trim in the first place. After a few hours of struggle, we got the new pieces to fit reasonably well. There still is not a perfect seal along the rubber gasket, but it's much better than it was. We'll work on the other side of the camper today. The good news is, the real work waterproofing the roof is ultimately done by the silicone caulking nuCamp put along the arch of the roof/wall joint, and that caulking is excellent. The trim helps to divert water from getting to that joint in the first place, and the trim also looks cool.