Options

Water Tanks below 32 degrees

We are going to do some Fall camping this weekend at North Higgins Lake and tomorrow night is suppose to go down to 30 degrees. I currently have 2/3 tank of fresh water and was wondering what to do. Should I empty it for one night and refill it in the morning? Should I not worry about it being that low for a night, with the next night being above 32 degrees?
Bob
Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S

Comments

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Since we have a 2014/15 320S our humble 5gal water tank is inside...if I were you I’d drain the tank just to be safe.  Frozen/burst lines can be ugly...”an ounce of prevention”.  It’ll be interesting to hear what other outside/11-gal owners advise.

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    It takes a considerable time for many gallons of water to freeze.  Roscommon, Michigan on Weatherbug looks like it will stay above freezing.  If it only dips below freezing for a short time, you will be fine.  

We were out in Utah this past spring at elevation and had several nights of temperatures dipping down to the high 20s.  It was not sustained temperatures.  We kept the heat on, the bathroom door and cabinet doors open and put some antifreeze in the P-traps and down to the waste tank valves, just in case.  The CS plumbing line runs are all in heated spaces, with the exception of the main supply from the fresh tank to the pump running under the floor above the black, corrugated undercover.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    rjgorsrjgors Member Posts: 41
    Thanks Sharon!
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
  • Options
    Since we have a 2014/15 320S our humble 5gal water tank is inside...if I were you I’d drain the tank just to be safe.  Frozen/burst lines can be ugly...”an ounce of prevention”.  It’ll be interesting to hear what other outside/11-gal owners advise.
    Thanks Durango!
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    edited October 2018
    For the past few weeks it has dipped below 32 at night to a low of about 26 where I live. It averages about 30 at night for the past several weeks. I do have the T@B heated inside to about 68 degrees at all times, and haven't had a problem with water. I'm going to winterize fully this weekend.

The bottom line is that I think you're fine, as long as it gets into the 40's or higher during the day, as it does by me. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yup. Somehow it's that time of year again.... drat.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    This past weekend it did get down to 31 degrees, but only a short period of time. So we had no issues with the water in the T@B. Thanks for all the input.
    Bob
    Richmond, MI

2019 T@B 320 S
  • Options
    Uh oh. I guess I better get to it. It got down to 31° last night...

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @ChanW, Sooo...You're havin' a heat wave? It's been like that here for the past week & a half! :o:s
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    Doh! That's lookin' a little too familiar!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Hmmm! Maybe I've been sitting around the coffee cup too late in the morning to catch it!

The dog hasn't wanted to go out in the morning for a few days now. Maybe that's a sign!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @rjgors I was camping last weekend  when nighttime lows were in the mid 20's. I learned to detach the water hose. I filled my tank to 100%. I do as Sharon indicated: bathroom door open, I unlatched the pump door so it hung open maybe an inch, and the two cupboards below the sink slightly propped open. Also as I was up a couple times during the night, ran some water. I set the Alde to 65. 

I've camped when the temp only hit high 20's and low 30's for a few hours and the dogs outside water bowl didn't even freeze.

Have fun!
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    Here in south central Alaska (Palmer in the Mat-Su Valley) we are having a heat wave! Most lows in the high 30's or low 40's and temps up to the high 50's! WeatherBell, a forecasting company that services farms and industry, predicts a warmer than normal Alaska and Northwest US winter with the rest of the country having a snowier and colder than normal winter. This also lines up with the Farmer's Almanac.

For you folks on the east coast, plan your winter vacation in Alaska!

(Disclosure: I still have our T@B well winterized and will cover it soon!)

Fergie