Options

Boondock Edge fender flares -too small for easy tire change?

LilRooLilRoo Member Posts: 5
edited October 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
Was practising at home changing a wheel/tire on my new 2019 Boondock Edge. No problem using car jack, (with more muscle than I thought it would take), managed to loosen and remove the 5 lug nuts. But then the fun began--getting that wheel tire combo out from under the well was a pain! The fender flares should be trimmend a bit (I think). They make for too tight a fit for easy tire change in the field. Note-this is a Boondock Edge with the knobbies and lift etc...
Any thoughts from those  that have actually changed a flat in the field or modifed the flares? Or am I just missing something?
Thanks,
J.R.

Comments

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Which method are you using to lift the trailer?
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    I just used a jack behind the wheel on the lip under the axle area. Where else would you use a jack when in the field?
  • Options
    No jack, use rear stabilizers and front wheel jack.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    Is that procedure explained anywhere in the literature? I missed it if so. But I doubt that would change the issue of the overly tight fender flares.
    Are the rear stabs and front jack the factory recommended way? Thanks for your assist!
  • Options
    Yup, that’s the factory way. I just wanted to make sure you were not putting a jack under the axel. That’s a No no
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I found that video and all looked good except for the actual removal of the tire. The small flares make getting the tire out of the well a very difficult task. Nucamp needs to modify the wheel well flares a bit when using the 15 inch knobbies.. I may do it with a cutoff wheel and then cover the edge with auto trim. Am talking to the factory tomorow for some input.
    More later..

• Options
    George101George101 Member Posts: 48
    Does this method of lifting the trailer work with the Outback 320? The stabilizers are barely long enough with blocks under them; will the tongue jack be long enough to lift the trailer?
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    George101 said:
    Does this method of lifting the trailer work with the Outback 320? The stabilizers are barely long enough with blocks under them; will the tongue jack be long enough to lift the trailer?
    I carry blocks to put under the stabilizers.
    LilRoo said:
    I found that video and all looked good except for the actual removal of the tire. The small flares make getting the tire out of the well a very difficult task. Nucamp needs to modify the wheel well flares a bit when using the 15 inch knobbies.. I may do it with a cutoff wheel and then cover the edge with auto trim. Am talking to the factory tomorow for some input.
    More later..

I would think this would have come up as an issue, sooner, if it were a problem. I watched the guy dispatched by Good Sam (it was over 100 degrees in Zion, I let the young guy do it) change my tire and he had no difficulty removing it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Nucamp is aware of the problem and will be working on a fix. I have confimred that in discussion with their rep.
     Yes one can remove the tire as is, but it is quite problematic. It is quite obvious that there can be a problem when one simply looks at the fender radius and the tire radius. 
    It is good to deal with a company that is aware and responsive to obvious design flaws.
    Nuff for now..