Options

Spare tire

PearlPearl Member Posts: 4
Here's what my mechanic came up with for the spare tire

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Pearl, any idea what size the ubolts are? I really like the way this looks.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Yes, I like it.  This is what I will be doing.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    It's such a great idea and seems so simple. Once you see it you wonder why you didn't think of it. I like that the frame actually supports the weight of the spare and the bracket simply holds it in place. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    I like this, also!  Only problem is that after my DH worked 3 days to install our bike racks for proper turning radius, it would alleviate our ability to carry bikes. 
    This is a great spare tire alternative.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Like the idea, but a few concerns I see.  For vehicles with a light tongue capacity, the weight of the tire bracket (5lb), spare tire (30lb),  bike rack (20lb) and two bicycles (60lb)  sends the tongue weight soaring.  I would like to just move the spare tire to the front, but the 200lb tongue capacity on my 2 dr Wrangler Jeep makes it to much, just something to keep in mind, with vehicles like mine.
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Slaps self on forehead for not being creative enough to do that by myself. Thanks for sharing.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Lee N Scott, I pretty much did the same thing.

jdargis, you are absolutely right.  This is not a mod for everyone.  It will work for many, but if you have a Class I hitch, you are already coming close to you tongue capacity, so you would have to be careful just how much you add.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    in2mtnsin2mtns Member Posts: 13
    Clever idea!   Hi Pearl:  Where did you find the bracket to hold the tire?  Is this something you found "off the shelf" or did you fabricate it yourself?  Thanks!
    Rich, 2013 T@B, Front Range, Colorado
  • Options
    cortlandjimcortlandjim Member Posts: 12
    also interested in parts list? sizes, etc. 
    cool idea. did you offset the added tongue weight by adding something to the rear?

2014 T@b CS - S, Clamshell with wet bath, 2015 Chevy Colorado tow vehicle. 
  • Options
    in2mtnsin2mtns Member Posts: 13
    Answered my own question about where to find brackets.  ETrailer has quite a variety of "offset style" spare tire carriers:

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Cargo_Control-pt-Frame_Mount-pc-Offset_Style.aspx

Rich, 2013 T@B, Front Range, Colorado
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I am pretty sure from the photos that it is the Maxx Tow Spare Tire Carrier for 3" x 5" Trailer Frames - 4-Lug and 5-Lug Wheels. I bought the Fulton and it might work as well. I will have to give it a try.

Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    DABWCADABWCA Member Posts: 70
    The label shown on the carrier in the photo says it's an Ultra-Tow carrier, which is sold through Northern Tool. The U-bolt is a cleaver adaptation for mounting it on the T@B.  For details see http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200414722_200414722
    David -- Saint Paul, MN
    2015 T@B-L "Silver Dr@ggin" towed by 2015 Kia Sorento V6 "Don Poulan"
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I'm a little surprised, living in the mountains, that we haven't had problems with the spare tire hitting the ground....but I am intrigued by that bike rack.  I plan on using Rocky Mount (go CO!) fork mounted roof racks for the bikes on our trip to the coast this May...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    I, too, would be interested in what size U-Bolts to use. I may ask my dealer to not mount the tire underneath, and hook this up when I pick it up. Thanks!
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited April 2015
    I removed my spare and the mount from under the T@B yesterday.  I will carry the spare in my tv until I decide on a mount for it.   I'm  glad I will not have to remove it from the  underneath mount If I get a flat on the road.  There was not much room to get under it and I would assume there would be even less with a flat wheel.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Walloe said:
    I'm thinking of putting the spare under the back floor of my Rav 4.  It looks like there will be enough space for the spare.  If not then I will sit it upright on the side and tie it in place.
    I have no space problem in my tv, it is a Ford F-150, lots of bed room.  I'm just not sure I want to worry about one more thing to pack when we take off for a trip.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    That's the best plan I've seen for the spare. I too slap my forehead.

Would need to compensate the extra tongue weight somehow, with more weight to the rear of the axle.

After having dealt with it more than once, removing & replacing the rear-mounted spare tire is painful, to say the least.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    tabascotabasco Member Posts: 23
    I had planned to mount the spare up forward but did not want to increase tongue weight, eventually mounted it just behind the axle with a through bolt coming up under the rear seat.

Yes, I know I have to get under the trailer to remove the spare, but dont you have to get underneath to  jack up the trailer in the first place? Either way, if you have a flat its going to be

tight and probably messy under there. Not to sure about L.G. framework but it works out well on my early Alko frame. This brings my tongue weight to under 150
  • Options
    driftlessdriftless Member Posts: 135
    was anyone taken the rear tire bracket off from under the T@B and then used u bolt to mount the bracket to the side of the tongue.  This seem like it would work.
    Happy Trails,
    Phil & Anita - Driftless: 2018 T@B 400/2015 Ford Explorer 

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    driftless said:
    was anyone taken the rear tire bracket off from under the T@B and then used u bolt to mount the bracket to the side of the tongue.  This seem like it would work.

I think that would make the tire too close to the ground.  I have an elevated spare tire holder and I still hit the pavement in Carlsbad, CA this winter and knocked the holder loose and my spare tire ended up on the pavement, but still attached to the tongue.  (I had to angle the holder back so that the tire would quit hitting the bumper on my new Tacoma, so it's lower to the ground than this picture shows.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I moved my spare to the side of the tongue and within 30 minutes it bottomed out. Just in time Pearl opted the pics above. Now my spare rides on top of the tongue secured to the jack. Thanks again to Pearl for sharing that solution.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I know this is an older thread but now that my T@B will be ready next month I was thinking of asking the dealer to mount the spare as shown in Pearl's photos. Only thing I'm not finding is where everyone who did it that way got the u-bolts. The part "Maxx Tow Spare Carrier" from Northern Tools doesn't come with those bolts. Did anyone else do this and if so, where did you get the u-bolts? Thanks!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169

I found this mount at Lowe’s:  http://www.lowes.com/pd_220453-15476-628___#BVRRWidgetID. I didn’t find U-bolts I liked, so I just used the included hardware.  I did use heavy duty rubber between the jack post and both tire mount plates.  It seems quite secure and easy to check.

Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim