Options

400 owners, heat in bed over Alde cabinet

Have any 400 owners noticed how warm the bed is above the Alde when heating the cabin?  I am considering installing a thermal blanket on the back side of the lid for the Alde compartment.  Seems that the upper part of the bed gets quite warm.  Nice on the cold mornings but sometimes quite warm.  Any one see a problem adding the thermal blanket?  Possibly adding a vent to the compartment from the side of the alde compartment or into the other lower area?  Could possibly vent to the belly for warmth down there for winter camping.
2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @atlasb, I expected the extra heat since the T@B S Max cushion was warmer over the Alde. I put a down alternative mattress cover that fits like a fitted sheet over the mattresses, plus another that is about 2” thick and fits using elastic straps over the corners of the mattresses. Both of these combined keeps the extra heat away from me and I’m comfortable. 

I do not know where I purchased these mattress covers since they came from my home bed and there was no reason for them to stay in storage if I could use them in the 400.  And they did not add extra warmth during the hot summer. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    I noticed it too but the wife likes it that way.
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    Ditto. We turn off Alde when sleeping.
    It would be nice if the controller was closer to the bed so that i could turn it on in the morning without getting out of bed.  
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    treefrog said:
    Ditto. We turn off Alde when sleeping.
    It would be nice if the controller was closer to the bed so that i could turn it on in the morning without getting out of bed.  
    Now that's what you call roughing it!  LOL   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @treefrog, there is an automatic setback function on the Alde screen.  It’s icon is the moon, and the screen name is Night Mode. I like it to be a bit cooler for sleep, but, like you, I don’t like to get up in the cold.  

You can also change the time the Alde goes to a cooler temp at night and when to turn it up in the am. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    Thanks Verna. I'll check that out.
    Funny thing. I don't need the heat, it's for my wife. She sleeps on the inside portion of the bed because she is a little claustrophobic.  She doesn't like the cold so she won't get out of bed and she won't let me crawl over her.  I guess that's fair since for 30 years I've getting her up at 4:30am.
  • Options
    BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
    Verna said:
    @atlasb, I expected the extra heat since the T@B S Max cushion was warmer over the Alde. I put a down alternative mattress cover that fits like a fitted sheet over the mattresses, plus another that is about 2” thick and fits using elastic straps over the corners of the mattresses. Both of these combined keeps the extra heat away from me and I’m comfortable. 

I do not know where I purchased these mattress covers since they came from my home bed and there was no reason for them to stay in storage if I could use them in the 400.  And they did not add extra warmth during the hot summer. 

Just back from our first four day trip in our 400 boondock lite and the first thing the wife said when we were ready for bed is "man it's hot back here".  I felt down by the bed/mattress against the outer wall and it was warm.  We did not have the Aldo on to heat the water, so I got into the routine of simply turning that off an hour before bed and no more complaints.  I'm sure once we're out and it's colder she'll ask that I keep it on. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida