Options

What to do with our 2 Marine Batteries and Solar through winter?

We traded in our T@B QMax this past spring for the T@B 400 supplied with 2 Marine Batteries and rooftop 200watt Solar panels.
Jim has winterized the T@B and was wondering if he needs to disconnect the batteries from the Solar and put in storage. 
He would remove the battery from our other T@B during winter .... we don't have severe cold weather here in the PNW but we will see temps below freezing a few times through winter.
So who all has Solar with those marine batteries and what do you do?

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    If you are storing it outside, even under a cover, can't you leave the solar connected to the batteries as a trickle charger?  Make sure you turn the battery cut-off switch to off to avoid phantom drain.  The 2 batteries are AGM and after you charge them fully they will hold their charge for months at a time without phantom draw.  In that case, you can probably just disconnect or turn off the solar for that matter.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    edited November 2018
    Welcome to the Forums.....

A battery has very low "self discharge", if there is nothing drawing on it.  If I leave my battery switch on in the trailer, it will drain my 35 amps in just a few days.  If I leave the battery switch off, it "self discharges" at a very slow rate, and will stay decently charged for months. 

The easiest thing to do would be just turn the battery switch to off, since I understand the 400 batteries are difficult to get to, etc.  Then just check them once a month or so.

Here is a Battery FAQ that has plenty of info on deep cycle batteries and is a great reference for all things battery related.  Look for the sections on "self discharge" in the Battery Voltage section.  They also discuss temperature and batteries.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi