Options

First winter with a tab400

Not sure what to do with the battery in the winter months. I have switched the disconnect, should I remove the battery and leave it on charge in the garage? If so, what type of charger is recommended?

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    If the battery switch is off and the battery has no draw on it, it will keep a charge for months.  Find the section on "self discharge" in this FAQ. 

There is no real need to take it out.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    A lot of folks will disconnect it and put it on a trickle charger, like the Battery Tender.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    That battery is huge and heavy.  I suspect it was positioned inside with the intention of not requiring annual removal.  AGM batteries are easily stored by leaving them in place, isolating from phantom draw as you have done, charging them fully and checking them at intervals.  

You must charge them fully before storing - some use an AGM specific 3 stage charger to assure a complete charge and others feel better keeping the battery on that smart charger during storage.  In our CS, we have a 150 amp AGM that will be stored mid-October through April and I suspect a discharge of no more than 5-6%.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    manatra2manatra2 Member Posts: 4
       I have my T@B 400 in the garage on shore power. My battery is on and I have the Alde temp at 55 degrees. I have winterized with RV fluid throughout the lines. I believe that the inverter will run if the battery loses some of its charge.

Mike
    Crestline, Ohio
    2019 T@B 400