Adding a new 12v line from the WFCO; Tab 400 Boondock lite

Looking for guidance for adding a new 12 line (circuit) for a portable freezer (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075R1LH8D/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) that I have been testing.

I would like to place it in the bottom of the closet so it is out of the way but easily accessible and most important very close to WFCO.  Has anyone ran a completely new line from the WFCO?  Looking for tips/pointers/guidance.

Thanks....

Johnny

Comments

• grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    Why would you not run a line from your battery? 
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    On my 320, I'm pretty sure all the slots in the 12V distribution panel are occupied. I'd guess (but am not certain) the 400 is the same way.
    It looks like this device is 45 watts, so will only draw about 4 amps on 12V. You might be able to tap into one of the lesser used 12V circuits so long as the added draw doesn't overload it.
    Not much help, I know. Maybe someone else will chime in, but I don't recall anyone doing this or discussion it here in the past.
    2015 T@B S
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Some thoughts before doing this:  

the closet/wardrobe gets warm in the fall/winter/spring months when the Alde is being used for heat. This will add to the cooling load of your freezer.  I did not notice any additional heat in the late summer months when just using the Alde for a water heater. 

While the WFCO converter is directly below the closet, most of us who have ARB fridge Freezers have chosen to run a dedicated fused 10 gauge cable directly to the battery so the fridge/freezer is not affected by the smaller gauge of wiring on the WFCO converter. On my 400, there is a dedicated 12V SAE plug on the side of the tongue box and another next to the cargo door that is close to the batteries. (I have Stand-alone solar panels in addition to the built-in solar panel and I needed a hookup for the solar and the ARB.)

Running the 10 gauge wiring directly to the battery would take 5’ or less wiring, taking into account necessary slack needed to turn corners under the bed and also to splice an in-line fuse in place. Running to the WFCO should take under 2.5’ of wiring, giving you slack in the “basement” under the closet. 

I agree with @ScottG in that I do not recall anyone else running the wiring for a fridge/freezer appliance to the WFCO. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • johnny_swindlejohnny_swindle Member Posts: 19
    Thanks @Verna, @ScottG, and @grubbster.....I was simply overthinking this simple install. Attaching a line to the battery with  a fuse is the most direct and simplest route.