Options

Outback edition: Yakima Rack and spare tire cover.

SusanBSusanB Member Posts: 20
edited July 2015 in Trailer & Towing
We have been trying to find a suitable way to put a cover on the spare tire attached to the Yakima Rack on the back of our 2015 Outback. On close examination the tire is clamped hard on the rack. I can loosen the tire clamp and slide the cover on but then have no way to retighten the clamp because the cover is over it. Is there someway to put a spacer between the rack and the tire that anyone knows of. I have a request for help in with Yakima and Ed at Pleasant valley so will let you all know what I find out but hoping one of you might have solved this problem.

Comments

• Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283

Hopefully we get our Outback in about a week. I was planning on a tire cover too. Let me know what you guys do. Not many of them out there yet.

Since the Outback has better ground clearance, I was wondering if the spare could be mounted under the trailer like the standard T@B. What do you think? Have you looked under yours to see if there are fittings there for a tire mount? I was hoping the factory at least left the holes for a mount.

What do you think of the Outback? We haven't even seen one in person yet.

I know, I'm asking too many questions.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    My T@b is getting the axel upgrade at the factory right now. My spare is mounted under the T@b. When I get it back I can post some pics and measurements.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options

SusanB

Do you think a continental kit would work?

• Options

These are pricey. Wonder if they have enough grip on the inside of the tire?

http://www.rvandvansurplus.com/tirecovers.asp?Vehicletype=RV

• Options
    We are loving our Outback. Have moved into it full time. Having worked on boats my whole life it's the largest cabin I have ever had.LOL. I am taking my time with this one and hope to hear back from Yakima shortly. Will let you know what they say.
  • Options
    So here is the response from Yakima
    "I am curious as to how this rack is mounted as most racks are mounted to the roof, hitch or spare tire. If the rack is mounted to the back spare tire, there would be no way to place a tire cover on without making a hole for the mounting hardware from the rack to mount to the tire."
    So it sounds like you would have to have a Donut shaped cover. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Sounds like yarn bombing it might be the way to go. Get out those knitting needles!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    you might be able to put a flap in the middle of the cover to gain access to tighten the spare down then use velcro to close the flap.  It may not be waterproof but will provide some protection and keep debris from collecting in the tire well.
  • Options
    Yes it looks like a custom cover is in the works. Here is the reply from Yakima,
    "
     Subject
    T@B campers with Yakima rack and spare tire

Discussion Thread
     Response Via Email (Alexis)03/26/2015 10:03 AM
    That is a nice set up! Unfortunately, there is no way to get a cover on without loosening the tire wing nut, which i do not recommend. The wing nut and bolt assembly for the spare tire is not something that we proved so I am not sure if there is another assembly that would allow the tire to sit higher above the rack so that the cover can be placed on it. Sorry, doesn't seem like i am much help. I hope you are able to get this corrected.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited March 2015
    Your kill'n me! Cover up that beautiful bad a## looking rear tire sitting way up there.  Makes the whole unit look like it just came from its namesake.  Well yes, there is that small thing called UV damage, but really, don't ya really wanna look soooooooooo cool out there B)
  • Options

SusanB,

There's another question I have to ask. The Outback has that aluminum storage platform on the front. Does that platform interfere much with backing-up the trailer. I'm worried about the platform hitting the TV bumper in a jackknife situation. Have you guys checked that?

Thanks

• Options
    TaBFanTaBFan Member Posts: 41
    Susan, The easiest and simplest way to mount the tire on the rack and have space under the tire for your cover, is to place a spacer over the wing bolt, between the rack and the tire. The spacer only needs to be long enough to give clearance for the cover. Half an inch + the current distance from the rack and tire rim should be enough to get the cover on.
    2014 Wrangler Sahara & 99 Jeep 4dr Sport TV. Interests are Photography, fishing & rod building, woodworking, hotrods (73VW rat rod "DasStuka") and Camping. 
  • Options
    So found a outlander cover at O Reilly auto parts for 24 dollars. You can put 3/4 of the cover on and then slide a hand up inside to tighten the wing nut and lock it Then you can slide the bottom over the remaining tire
  • Options
    Sabel There is plenty of room for backing up I just posted about the cover