Options

New owner: May freeze tonight

13»

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    @DougH, our little compressor is more than enough.  Before we blow the lines, we make sure that all the areas that drain the plumbing completely stop dripping.  Then, we close all valves and outlets, pressurize up to just under 50 psi (the pressure builds slowly so just watch your gauge), and open one tap, toilet flush, hot and cold water drains at a time.  Re-pressurize in between each and we had only air coming out.  Do each outlet twice if it makes you feel better!  No need to redo at home with the garage compressor which we do not own.  You may want to give the compressor a break midway through.  They are not designed for long period, constant use and can over heat.  We are happy with the results.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Thanks!  Will try it out.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    I do not winterize by putting antifreeze in my water tank-ever—- I don’t want that stuff in there— it’s much cheaper to bypass the alde & fresh water tank & pull the antifreeze straight from the jug in through the water pump & only takes 1 gallon v multiple gallons of antifreeze— much cheaper— keep reading here & learning!!  Lots of stuff to learn but winterizing right now is critical unless you want to be replacing a bunch of stuff!!
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    GliderII---"If I use the propane to heat the trailer, I shouldn't have to drain the lines, correct?  "

Answer to your question is--No, that is NOT correct.

If you leave heat on in your trailer all winter you may avoid freezing lines inside the trailer, but it WILL NOT protect the gray, black tank, and all other lines that run under the trailer and will not protect your dump valves, etc.

Also if you leave the heat on all winter, I believe you would be overusing your alde needlessly and will be replacing the alde unit very soon.

People that winter camp in areas of the country that regularly are below freezing almost always "dry camp", which means no running water, no using the toilet and they are using the trailer with everything winterized.  They bring along water jugs for water.  They are only using the Alde to heat the trailer, and propane on the stove to heat something up.  No running water, no hot water, no toilet.

Woohoo!
  • Options
    Glider11Glider11 Member Posts: 73
    Thank you, Ikc001 - very helpful, esp. for winter camp.  I'm learning! I got the trailer winterized at the dealer last week, before our freeze this week.  

• Options
    Glider11Glider11 Member Posts: 73
    Homebodyatheart;  I did contact NuCamp, asking for info on the manual. In the dealer's presentation, they didn't tell me about the USB.  So, eventually, I had the 2017 manual printed in color. A bit costly, but now I can haul it around with me.  After than, NuCamp emailed me stating they'd send me a hard copy. :-) Now that the trailer is winterized, by the dealer, I'll be able to read and practice on the heat, propane cooking, refrigerator, etc. this winter.  Initially, I thought the trailer was already for camping when I drove off the dealer's site.  It flooded some in the area I had planned to camp, so perhaps all this confusion kept me home and away from a potentially stressful first camping expedition.  I see that the trailer is my new "pet", with very definite needs and constant attention.  At least no hair all over the house. 
  • Options
    Glider11--just keep reading & learning & you will get there!  This group is so helpful and knowegeable, it's great to have this site as a resource.  Enjoy your tabby!
    P.S.--Any other RV is the same way regarding winterizing, unless you have a 100K plus, plus unit that has a heated basement.
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @Glider11 while it seems to take constant attention now, in a year much will be learned, leaving your brain free to just plain enjoy it all! Keep having fun with it!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red