Options

Searching for campgrounds in google maps

mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
We have a route to Big Bend national park in google maps. Is there a way to search for campgrounds along a route in google maps?
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    You can zoom in to part of the route you want to search. 

On the map direction page, in the blue box on the left upper corner:
     Click on the X:  "Close Directions".

You will then be back to the search box for the area of the map you zoomed in on.

Type "campground" (or what you are searching for) in the search box, and it will display results on that section of the map.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    edited November 2018
                                                  Click the X in the blue box to "Close Directions."

And you return to the search box for the area of the map you zoomed to.  I suppose it would work for the entire route, too.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    And apps "Ultimate Campgrounds (UC) Public CG" , "WikiCamps" , and "Park Advisor" ($), along with web site Campendium, and those already mentioned.  Then always Google Maps / Earth to look at the bird's eye closeup for trees, views of nearby lake / mountain / etc.  Then I paste the GPS coordinates into a detailed off-line topographic map app.  Sheesh that sure sounds convoluted just to find a free place to park.  :s
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    I was hoping to see the route and the campgrounds both displayed at the same time.
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    You can use Google Maps' 'search along route' function, by clicking the magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner, after you have set your route and 'Started' navigating.

However it only seems to show the relatively nearby targets, maybe those within an hour?

I think you would have to use the method that @pthomas745 outlined, to get campgrounds listed that are closer to your day's destination.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Thanks ChanW
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    I've done a little bit more checking with Google maps. it actually works a little bit better than what I said above. It will find the campgrounds at your end-point.

First, set your day's destination city or area, using Maps search function. Then click on 'Directions'. You'll see the place to enter your Destination and Starting Point. Enter your starting point (click the up-arrow/down-arrow icon to flip destination and starting point).

Once you have your Destination and Starting Point set, you'll see the 'options menu' icon (three-vertical-dots icon) right next to the Starting Point that you typed in. 

If you  click that icon, you'll see a selection to 'Add Stop'. If you enter 'campground' as an added stop, it will show all the campgrounds around your destination!

Kinda cool!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    mandt said:
    I was hoping to see the route and the campgrounds both displayed at the same time.
    Give FURKOT a try.  It is free but does require login. I'm still learning its features, seems very complete and can even output your Travel Plan in a spreadsheet.csv file.

https://trips.furkot.com/ 

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Found an app that does what I want... I think. It’s called Roadtrippers. Shows camping along route. And it is simple to use. 
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    I played with Google Maps a little more. It's actually pretty useful. 

I found that Google Maps will find campgrounds nearby whatever your most recent selected destination point is. 

So if you 'add a stop' of your expected day's end location, maybe for example "Delaware Ohio", and then do an additional 'add a stop' specifying "campground", hit the magnifying glass to search, it will show all campgrounds around Delaware Ohio, on the map!

That seems to be the way it works, whatever you entered as your last stop, it will show search results around that location. 

Pretty handy. There have been many times when we could have used that ability.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Yeah that is a pretty handy tip. 
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    Google Maps has nice changes for National Parks including a better display of hiking trails and better park navigation.  

https://www.rvtravel.com/google-maps-introduces-game-changing-updates-national-parks-1100b/
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    elbolilloelbolillo Member Posts: 295
    I use an app called FreeRoam. It is helpful for finding free spots to overnight along with campgrounds.
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,003
    We travel with our Garmin Overlander GPS and it is pre-loaded with iOverlander and Ultimate Public Campgrounds.  It has tens of thousands of campsites, from public boondock sites to KOAs and everything in between.  It's been so useful finding not only pay sites but finding us some awesome boondock sites as well. And it even does turn by turn directions for boondock sites.  You can use iOverlander for free on your computer as well but it's nice having that and the Ultimate Public Campgrounds built into a GPS unit.  It also can show historic sites along your route that you may otherwise drive by.  It's been fun to have for our trips. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
    We use RVTRIPWIZARD and in the filters section, select all the various camp sites. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options
    sportcoupesportcoupe Member Posts: 28
    I have had hit and miss with searching for "campground" in google maps while traveling.

I changed my search term to "RV resort" and got much better selections, using weeding out the long term type campgrounds. 
    2023 T@B 320 S BD,
    TV: 2023 Ford Bronco 2.7L Wildtrak 4x4, Tow Package, Ford Brake Controller
    Georgia