Options

Battery Charge

When my Tab 400 is in winter storage, I do not have access to an electrical outlet to keep the battery plugged in.     I also cannot remove the battery because I live in a condo.    I am going to use a generator to charge up the battery.     I am wondering if there is a charge time difference between plugging the trailer directly into the generator or plugging a battery charger into the generator and connecting to the battery posts.   Thanks!
2019 Jeep Cherokee pulling a 2018 T@b 400.
Victoria, British Columbia.

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I would charge it fully, disconnect the battery with the big red battery disconnect and not worry about it. If you do decide to charge a high quality battery charger Direct to the battery should work better than the WFCO converter.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    DanL said:
    When my Tab 400 is in winter storage, I do not have access to an electrical outlet to keep the battery plugged in.     I also cannot remove the battery because I live in a condo.    I am going to use a generator to charge up the battery.     I am wondering if there is a charge time difference between plugging the trailer directly into the generator or plugging a battery charger into the generator and connecting to the battery posts.   Thanks!
    If it's stored outside there are small (10w) solar panels that will trickle charge the battery to keep it topped up.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    DanLDanL Member Posts: 18
    Marceline said:
    DanL said:
    If it's stored outside there are small (10w) solar panels that will trickle charge the battery to keep it topped up.

Hello Marceline.     This is a good idea.    Do you have to leave the storage compartment door slightly open to allow the wires to get to the battery?
    2019 Jeep Cherokee pulling a 2018 T@b 400.
    Victoria, British Columbia.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,657
    The batteries, if not under any load, will hold their charge for a long time.  The "self discharge" of is very low.  N7SHG has the right idea.

Find the comments here about self discharge of batteries:

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    @DanL, as pthomas45 stated, your AGM batteries in your 400, once fully charged, with the battery switch off, will last all winter with limited discharge.  You don’t even need a solar trickle charger.  Just check it once in a while for your own peace of mind and to prove to yourself that your battery is adequately charged.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    As people have noted the battery should be fine for the winter when fully charged and with the battery switch in the off position.  A fully charged battery has a freezing point around -80 °F while a discharged battery has a freezing point around 20 °F. By keeping the battery fully charged during the winter months, the electrolyte is less likely to freeze and cause unexpected failures.  That's what I do to all my batteries here in Michigan, I charge them up fully, leave them intact (no current draw from anything) in the equipment and have not had any issues after using them in the spring.   

As for using a small solar panel, Zamp makes a solar port that can be install anywhere on the trailer and would allow you to plug the panel in and out as needed.  

https://youtu.be/FCfPvS6iTzk?t=17
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    All good advice.
    Also, I have a feeling running a generator at your condo is not going to endear you to your neighbors.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    We had an AGM battery failure do to cold last weekend. Battery went from a full charge to nothing in 3 hours after the temp dropped. Check into it. Renogy is sending us a new one.
    not sure how cold it gets where you live, you might want your battery stored in a warm place.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn