Options

Maiden voyage planned but concerned about water freezing

gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
I wanted to take the T@B this weekend but the night temps will be 30 degrees.  I might dry camp and just carry water for personal use.  There will be a porta potty on site but a long walk from camping area.  Might just get a hotel room.  The destination is 10 hours away and a bit leery of a long drive for my first trip.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Stick close to home. I'm on my shakedown and on the 10th night last night I had an electrical problem and a brown out. Lost all power, even battery. Glad I'm close to home. 
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If you're by yourself, a 10 hr drive is enough to make you very, very inattentive. If you figure in two or three gas fill-ups, a couple of stops for food, another couple of stops for personal, you're really looking at a 12 hr drive. 

If if it were me, I would break it down to two 5-6 hr days of driving. You're not used to towing your T@B, so you'll be nervous about that, the road construction season is starting and it's Spring Break in some areas. Take the T@B, get used to it and have some fun. Motels aren't fun!

The potty is a bit simpler than you think. Yes, dry camp is fine. But you can either buy bags that are intended for Lugable Loos or Travel Toilets and place them on your toilet under the seat (so nothing goes down the drain), or you could use a double kitchen trash bag with a bit of Kitty litter in it. Trust me, it will work. Or you could walk to the Porta potty.  

Good  Luck.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited March 2015
    My first outing was split up with 2 four hour drives and it was OK. My next trip was cross country.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    6/7 hours is my limit - just did two 6-hour treaks - I always want to get into a campground well before dark. Nothing worse than trying to get into a spot in a strange campground and setup as it's getting (or is) dark.
    My first excursions were to my brother's driveway for a couple of shakedown days and then over to a friends for another couple just to make sure everything worked and I had the setup/teardown routine in hand.
    ----------
    As far as temps - I spent the first month on the road in below freezing temps - didn't take on water until I was in more moderated temps. Used porta potties and water jugs in the interim. Wasn't as big a pain as one would think. 
  • Options
    gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    Decided to leave the T@B home this trip until better prepared.  Disappointed, but will get her on the road in May.