Options

Help! Propane pigtail replacement type?

Argh! Help! I’ve accidentally twisted the pigtail hose that connects the propane tank to the regulator a little bit too far and hisssss...! I’ve developed a leak in the hose in my 2018 320S.

Two questions: 
(1) what type of hose is it? An “inverted male flare” or “male NPT”? I could check myself but....

(2) How does one get the dang hose OFF?? My wrench is slipping on the nut!

I’m in the middle of a 2,200 mile trip at the moment and have pulled into an RV Park so at least I can run my Alde on electricity (it’s well below freezing here, so excuse the road grime and bad picture quality!)

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    If you have limited knowledge in this area. I would find a bulk propane dealer in the area. They can provide you with the proper hose. In most cases they will put on the new one at little or know change. Because it is a safety issue. Your fitting may only be loose and just may need tightening.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    To answer the questions:

(1) the hose is a 1/4” male inverted flare (at least on my 2018 320 S purchased 7/2017). 

(2) it required a 1/2” wrench (not an adjustable one!) to get the nut loosened. Very easy with the right tools. 

Replacement hose on its way to my destination via amazon and I’ll install on Friday. I know how to check for leaks so I’m pretty confident l be able to do it myself (touch wood!)

• Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    Hose arrived and installed today. I got the “upgraded” hose, but it was only $12 on Amazon. (The standard rubber Camco hose was $6). Installation was incredibly easy (although the replacement hose required a 7/16 wrench!). Thoroughly tested for leaks and there were none. Very happy!

Hose I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Pigtail-Stainless-Connector-Connection/dp/B07D28PQTQ/

• Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Thanks for doing the leg work on this. I ordered a replacement 24 inch today 
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    TabletTablet Member Posts: 46
    I can attest that on my 2010 T@B the NPT hose is the right one.
    2010 T16-Q & 2013 Toyota Sienna Limited AWD.
  • Options
    HildaPineHildaPine Member Posts: 2
    Any 2009 DM T@B owners who can chime in on what regulator, pigtail, hose, fittings I need to replace what I have?
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    edited May 2021
    My original propane pigtail lasted a respectable five seasons before developing a small leak at the crimped fitting. It's replacement made it just over one season before splitting in three places.

The newest pigtail--part of a cheap two-pack from that place--took less than three days before it started looking like a plump sausage. It appears something--presumably propane--has leaked from the inner lining and caused the outer lining to balloon. Its twin is now installed for experimental purposes while awaiting what I hope is a higher quality replacement.

So...

Has anybody seen anything like this before?

Does anyone have a specific recommendation for a quality pigtail? At a glance all of the standard options (including the metal clad hoses) seem to be less than highly reliable. Is this just one of those things you take to be disposable and carry a spare?

Another thing I learned coincidentally is that these things have different flow rates above which they will apparently shut down or otherwise restrict supply. These cheapos are rated up to 80K BTUs, the standard Camco hoses go to 200K BTUs, and others go even higher. (Don't ask me how this translates into plain English, or how it affects the specific construction of the pigtails.) 

Anyone have the foggiest idea how this works, or what the maximum BTU required by the T@B would be? I'm guessing it would not exceed 80K.   

2015 T@B S