Options

Tab 400's Continue to Evolve (mid 2019's)

N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
Went window shopping today (to finalize our choices), we have settled on what we want and it looks like it will be a custom order. In looking at the very limited selection locally, the just off the line 2019 400's now have a strut system on the center bed section that holds it open (was not there on builds a couple months ago). Also, of note is a small lid that opens over the Cool Cat compartment (for what reason, I am unsure) and I note the following when opting for the larger 3-way fridge: Closet is gone (obviously), it looks harder to access the water pump, etc. under where the closet would normally be; you get one drawer under the larger fridge and two additional ones where the smaller fridge would normally be; the Alde expansion tank is moved to the driver side porthole window cubby (seems harder to get to); the converter gets moved to the under seat storage for the passenger side of the table and that storage area is no longer available. While you do gain an extra cubic foot of fridge space (on paper) it almost looks less usable, however it definitely is easier to see in the fridge being higher up. For us, the decision was to go with the smaller 2-way and retain the rest of the storage/access conveniences.

The new solar panel is a very clean install, looks very nice.
2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite

Comments

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    From what our dealer told us about the 400 and the missing closet...it was his choice to order it that way...i'd  rather have the storage than the larger fridge...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    @ontheroad yes the bigger fridge is an option, they can be ordered either way. Our biggest concern was no hanging closet, all clothing would need folded and placed in a drawer.
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    I'd want the hanging space too!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I love the hanging closet. It is amazing how much room there is. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    @N7SHG_Ham, the small lid at the top of the Cool Cat compartment allows easy access to the air filter. It will save you from having to remove the dinette table, remove the cushions, take out two screws, and remove the entire compartment top panel in order to remove the filter for cleaning. 

We we agree with you that the 2-way (110/12v) Danfoss fridge is the way to go. Not only does it allow for more storage space, including the wardrobe, for us it has been very reliable and plenty enough fridge space for a week’s worth of groceries for two without the drawbacks of a propane fridge. Coupled with the nüCamp supplied AGM batteries and especially with a solar setup, it has served us very well while boondocking. 

Our understanding is that nüCamp began offering the 3-way (110/12v/propane) fridge in response to requests from dealers who still think that the outdated ammonia absorption technology is the only way to go for off grid camping and many apparently are not aware of the advantages of the Danfoss technology.  This article does a great job of comparing the two technologies: http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/2016/02/the-danfoss-compessor-refrigerator-pros-cons-and-a-few-tips/

Thanks for the review of the new features. We know at least a couple of the changes are the result of nüCamp listening to users!

Good luck with making your final decisions and placing your order. Based on our experience we feel certain you will love your 400!
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    skwhee said:
    . . . many apparently are not aware of the advantages of the Danfoss technology.  This article does a great job of comparing the two technologies: 
    http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/2016/02/the-danfoss-compessor-refrigerator-pros-cons-and-a-few-tips/
    Interesting article, thanks for the link.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    @skwhee thanks for the comments and I agree. My dealer (in my experience) seems to know very little about the NuCamp products, I was told by them that I knew more about the 400's than they did, all from this forum, YouTube and the Facebook forums :) My guess is at delivery, I could do a better walk through than them, LOL so not sure why I have to pay $900 PDI to put the spare underneath and bolt the tub on, oh well. The dealer was under the impression the 2-way fridge was gas and 110v and when I explained it all they were shocked at why anyone would buy an RV without gas as one of the fridge options.

On the Cool Cat filter, I looked in that small door and didn't see a filter, just a mess of duct work and wiring, but that makes sense and I figured it was for access to something on the Cool Cat.

Speaking of access, with the 3-way fridge, it looks to me like you have to take off a panel where the converter is normally located to get to water pump, etc. and it seems a bit more awkward to do that. than through the wardrobe closet floor panel.
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @N7SHG_Ham congrats on your decision! Of course I know of the dealer you are referring...I would concur, they don't know much. My walk through was rudimentary and got me through the basics but I recall he also gave incorrect information. The service manager at the desk is less than eager to help. Have you thought about a dealer in Eugene or Portland? You will find any minor fixes you'll do yourself working with nuCamp.  
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    The Cool Cat filter is behind the tan colored plastic grille mounted in a drop in slide attached to the outer seat panel.  You see the slots in that panel that allow the air to enter the cool at from the cabin.  Open the door,pull the plastic panel up and the filter is on the side facing the cooling slots.  We have cleaned ours several times and the door makes it easy.  Love our 400!!
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    @dsfdogs, I have thought about other dealers, BUT of the three I asked for a quote, one was higher price than locally and the third didn't respond, so have decided to work with the local guys and see how it goes. I thought we had a price a few days ago, now there is a bit of back and forth, one thing that has happened is shipping has gone up to $2400 a unit here. I am NOT too worried about service, minor things I can do, and I have a fantastic independent repair shop about five minutes away. Unless something major comes up under warranty, I don't plan on having the selling dealer do much if anything after the sale, won't be disappointed that way :)
  • Options
    @atlasb gotcha ya, I was looking too far in the compartment, didn't occur to me that the filter was attached to the seat panel, now that you mention it I think I recall seeing a beige plastic piece marked Dometic.
  • Options
    I guess I didn't mention what we optioned out, so 2019 400, silver with red trim, graphics deleted and ALL options except the 3-way fridge, so that would be adding Boondock, solar, inverter and microwave.
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I would also consider at some point of adding the Progressive industries energy management system.  I installed the HW 30 C system and love it.  Gives a piece of mind for protecting the power system and Alde.  The HW is hard wired so I don't have to worry about plugging in to the pedestal or some one borrowing it.  Has caught a pedestal problem for us we did not know about.  We also always check the pedestal with a circuit checker before connecting to shore power. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I agree with the comment that many, if not most, dealers are woefully ignorant about nuCamp products--and not really inclined to deal with you unless you are looking at one of their high dollar rigs.  I actually had a salesman abandon me and go over to a couple who were looking at a huge 5th-wheel.  I continued my prowl of their lot and no one ever came to replace the first guy.  I just walked out the door.  At another dealer, the salesman (supposedly their nuCamp "expert") told me so many things that I knew to be wrong that I decided not to play with them any more.  As I left, the salesman seemed irked that I had taken up so much of his time (about 20 minutes) and then didn't buy anything.  I had told him up front the I was researching and didn't plan to buy that day.  They didn't get my order either.
  • Options
    @atlasb I plan to add the EMS, not sure if I will go with HW version or not.
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    @N7SHG_Ham your 400 sounds great! What is the lead time? I would LOVE to see it! My 320 is silver w/red too. At some point, I might reach out for your local repair contact. The trailer place in Tumalo seems good and will be installing my brake controller in my new 4Runner and do the bearing work for me. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    @dsfdogs unknown lead time, they hope a couple months. May know more this week. High Desert RV in Prineville is the local shop. http://www.highdesertrv.com The pickup camper is one the owner built from the ground up. Notice they have a photo of an older Tab in their "Big to small" photo.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    atlasb said:
    I would also consider at some point of adding the Progressive industries energy management system.  I installed the HW 30 C system and love it.  Gives a piece of mind for protecting the power system and Alde.  The HW is hard wired so I don't have to worry about plugging in to the pedestal or some one borrowing it.  Has caught a pedestal problem for us we did not know about.  We also always check the pedestal with a circuit checker before connecting to shore power. 
    Just know that you'll have to get a "loop-back" plug if you ever use a generator. Probably never will with the solar pkg and wonderful battery. I have the HW Progressive Industries and haven't put it in yet. Just another FYI, the 3 wires are held in by wire screws (you'll see what I mean when you get into it). Use a little blue (non-permanent) loctite on the itty bitty screws. The small campers bounce enough so I've had the neutral pop out (ERROR, ERROR Will Robinson!). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)