Options

Bad GFCI Outlet?

My GFCI outlet needed to be reset, frequently, last fall. Is this a sign that it is going bad? There were no error messages on the Progressive EMS.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    What do you have plugged into the GFCI when this happens.  Are you on shore power at that time or not?
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Awca12a said:
    What do you have plugged into the GFCI when this happens.  Are you on shore power at that time or not?
    Shore power, yes. Usually plugging in a DSLR camera battery, laptop, or cell phone...nothing drawing a lot of power.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    They do go bad over time occasionally and it is pretty easy to change out.  It may also indicate one of your plugged in devices is deteriorating too.  Try plugging it in to the other GFI for a while if you can and see if it trips the other receptacle or change it out.  They are pretty cheap and you can get them at Lowe’s, HD, etc.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2019
    @Michigan_Mike, do you have more than one GFCI outlet in your Tab?

I'm pretty sure ours only has the one, under the bed, which protects all the other outlets on the circuit.

But @jkjenn, you could try them on a GFCI outlet in your home... 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    edited January 2019
    GFCIs are notoriously fickle...
    Once I had to switch one out to a different brand because the particular device I had plugged into it caused it to trip every time.
    When I turn the ceiling fans in my living room on and off, certain GFCIs on different circuits in my basement sometimes trip.
    I even had one on my deck start buzzing loudly and then just totally die. And nothing was plugged into it! An autopsy revealed the insides were melted.
    Since it seems to be a new problem, and it happens with multiple devices, I'd second that the GFCI receptacle itself is going bad.
    Does it trip when you plug your devices into other receptacles in the camper? In  theory it should--as ChanW noted, that one GFCI should be protecting all the other accessible cabin outlets.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I’d just go ahead and replace it. Unplug your shore power first.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ChanW said:
    @Michigan_Mike, do you have more than one GFCI outlet in your Tab?

I'm pretty sure ours only has the one, under the bed, which protects all the other outlets on the circuit.

But @jkjenn, you could try them on a GFCI outlet in your home... 
    I don’t recall how many were in the 320? Is the one above the sink just are receptacle and without the GFI?  You are probably right as the GFI can used for used to protect other receptacles along a circuit.    
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    edited January 2019
    Yep, there's the one above the sink, and then the one on the outside. Those two are wired downstream from the GFCI under the drivers bench so that all three are GFCI protected.
    There are additional receptacles for the refrigerator, air conditioner, and Alde, but those are on separate dedicated circuits and do not have GFCI protection.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have no problems with the electronics at home with the GFCI and it happens with different devices, so I think it is something connected to the outlet. I also read that water in an out let can cause the issue. I have read a few people say that they bnb get water in the outdoor receptacle on the passenger side, so I will investigate that. 

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Since all the GFCI outlets are all on the same circuit even though only one plug may be a GFCI, any issues with any plugs could trip the GFCI plug. Typically this could be a loose wire at any of the plugs due to vibration, etc. If replacing the GFCI doesn't fix issue, next step would be to check wiring at each plug or have a qualified shop/electrician do it.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite