Options

The 110 outlets

This might seem like a silly question but do all the 110 outlets work when you are on battery power? I ordered extra outlets on the headboard area but do I need to specify that they work when boondocking? 

Silly newbs  :)

Comments

• Options
    geromogeromo Member Posts: 33
    the battery is 12 volt dc--it will not power 110 volt ac unless you are plugged in to shore power or  generator.
  • Options
    mdimdimdimdi Member Posts: 32
    Perhaps I should have said the outlets that look like house plugs. Does the converter drive some of the standard 3 prong looking outlets?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

No, mdimdi, the 110V (house-like electrical outlets) do not work unless you are connected to shore power (or electricity).  The CONVERTER converts 110V AC (alternating current) to 12V DC (direct current), but it cannot supply 110V power, unless you are connected to shore power. 

You can connect an INVERTER to a 12V outlet to change the 12V to 110V current, but only to the outlets on the inverter. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    So they don't install an inverter stock then? I better call and change some outlets to the 12v ones like above the sink. Thanks. 
  • Options
    No, you can purchase an inverter, one that is based on the watts necessary to power your 110V usage. In my mind, if you had a 12V outlet next to each 110V outlet, that would take care of whichever voltage you needed.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I agree with Verna - add more but pair them.
    I bought an inverter to charge my computer etc while I'm on battery or solar. You'd need a pretty big inverter to run a lot of 110v appliances - Most inverters have a chart on them that tell you how many watts and size of inverter you'd need to power certain appliances. Once you get above 350 watts you usually have to connect them directly to the battery rather than through the cigarette plug in the T@B.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    You would be better, possible to get those as 12v outlets and invest in 12v adapters as I am pretty sure it would decrease battery drain. Inverters can be pricey, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    A 350watt inverter was only $50 or so at a Pilot.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    I agree with Verna - add more but pair them.
    I bought an inverter to charge my computer etc while I'm on battery or solar. You'd need a pretty big inverter to run a lot of 110v appliances - Most inverters have a chart on them that tell you how many watts and size of inverter you'd need to power certain appliances. Once you get above 350 watts you usually have to connect them directly to the battery rather than through the cigarette plug in the T@B.

Yes, I bought a 400 watt inverter, if it was connected directly to the battery.  Since I used the 12V outlet to connect it, it only supplied 100 watts, which was not enough to charge my 90 watt laptop. Therefore, I only used my laptop when I had an electrical campsite during my 3 months out in Arizona this year.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Does anyone have a picture of the 12v outlets? I thought one video said that there were 2 usb slots too, will those put out enough to charge an iPad? If you had 2 iPads connected would one outlet supply enough to charge both? Thanks for all the responses.
  • Options
    There's two outlets above the sink...
    1) Has two standard 110v outlets like a house
    2) Has one cigarette plug and two USB ports.
    Yes, the usb ports will charge you're iPad. You can also use a cigarette plug with USB ports (like many have in their cars) in any 12v outlets you may have.
    It will charge two devices (I've done an iPad and an iPhone overnight). It may charge them both a little slower if two are plugged in - or at least that's the way it seems to me.
  • Options
     :) Thank You so much! In your opinion if I had two 12v outlets would that charge both iPads faster? I am trying to decide how many 12v outlets to order. 
  • Options

iPads and iPhones are the ones that need a bit higher voltage than the other electronics I have (Kindle, DVD player, TV, camera batteries,etc.).  Other cell phones may be the same.  If you just had two of the new 12V/double USB outlets in the cabin that LG is installing, that should be enough.  One at the kitchen area, one in the bed/dinette area.  That's what would work for me.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sweet, that is what I will do. Thanks!
  • Options
    deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
        I purchased an inverter at one of the pilot truck stops.  It plugs into the cigar lighter port above the counter top. Provides 2 house type plug ins to then connect 2 plugs into.          Price about $40.00

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• Options
    Funny - That's where I got mine (Pilot) - As I recall, the 300watt is the largest you can get with the cigarette plug. Anything larger has to be wired directly to the battery.
  • Options
    deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
          I know what a wire looks like and that's the extent of my electrical experience. :)

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• Options
    I'm not much more advanced - anything that can shock me or blow up I tend to avoid.
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    My father was an electronics whiz. Built his tv in early 70s. One brother was an electronics tech in the navy and went on to build his own commercial radio station. Other brother was retired from an electric coop. Me? I know how to flip a switch. Never could understand how electricity works. I'm too visual I guess.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    Other than a computer, or charging a cell phone, or a small lamp, you can't do too much with a 300 watt limit. Being new to all of this, I guess if I do any dry camping I would need a percolator to make my morning coffee, and only use my Keurig when in an RV park with a hook-up. I actually already own, given to me as a gift,  a small inverter that looks like a Starbucks coffee cup, and fits nicely in the car's cup holder, and it accommodates two regular type electric plugs, but I've never used it.  I guess I am wondering what you might use your inverter for in your T@b.
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    I use my inverter to charge all my devices and camera batteries - Have solar keeping the battery charged. Also have a Honda 2000i for when sun's a problem. And of course, what would Sunday breakfast be without toast and the toaster is ac (the only ac appliance I carry other than the air conditioner). Note: toasters take a lot of juice. The air conditioner doesn't kick the generator into high gear but the toaster sure does.