Options

Extended warranties from the dealer?

Anyone have any feedback regarding extended warranties for a NuCamp trailer?  The local dealer includes a basic one with a purchase, but is also recommending two others for $$$$.  One is Extreme Towable RV (electronics and roadside assistance) and the other is ResistAll (paint and fabric protection).  I've had bad experiences with things like this for new cars I've purchased over the years.  My instinct is to pass on these and just take good care of the investment.

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2019
    I never recommend going for extended warranties. 

NuCamp is excellent at post sales customer support and warranty support. No need to add more.

For roadside assistance, add your Tab to your insurance. Progressive has a great camper policy, that includes your pet! 

I can't recommend AAA+RV, because our 'Western New York AAA' chapter made it clear to me that they don't include coverage for a trailer - only attached RVs are covered for towing with AAA-WNY. They told me that, if my TV breaks down, and they have to tow it, they leave the camper on the side of the road!

So for AAA, be sure to ask your local chapter about the specifics of their roadside assistance coverage. Each chapter has its own rules.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Very few owners on the Forum have purchased the offered extended warranties - usually it mostly benefit$ the dealer.  I think you have already put your money in the best place- a good quality build and company.   
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I think your instincts are correct.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    JonJon Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    I am one of the rare few who did purchase the extended warranty.  I did it with my eyes wide open.  My thinking is that I am not a very handy person with tools, etc.  When I try to fix something myself, I usually end up paying twice:  Once to fix the original problem and once to fix the additional problems that I caused.  Knowing my limitations and wanting some peace of mind, I forked over the extra cash hoping I would never need to use the extended warranty. 
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Options
    grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    If you are a financially disciplined person I would recommend taking the money you would pay for an extended warranty and put it into an account instead.  If you need repairs this would help toward the cost and if you don't you keep the cash. 
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    DesertDwellerDesertDweller Member Posts: 129
    That makes perfect dollars and sense.  But, when faced with the outlay for the repair, I found myself thinking, "oh, I can fix that," or hiring someone on the cheap (and getting what I paid for), or not getting it fixed at all.  With the extended warranty price rolled into the total purchase price, it is somewhat hidden.  And, when something does go wrong, having already "paid" for the repair (less deductible), I will just have it fixed and be done with it. This type of decision, for me anyway, is more emotional than logical.  I don't pretend that it is sound money management. 
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite a/k/a "The D@wghouse"
    2012 Jeep Liberty KK a/k/a "Libby"
  • Options
    ObiruObiru Member Posts: 25
    I purchased the extended warranty. I know it benefits the dealer generally but it gives me a piece of mind if something major were to happen. Stuff happens  :)
  • Options
    hobbithousehobbithouse Member Posts: 25
    JON, from my experience and opinion,  NuCamp is the best extended warranty I have ever had. My two cents.
    2019 TAB400 2018 Toyota Tacoma 4dr trd off road