Options

Television is haunted

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I just recently joined the T@B club with a 2019 320S Boondock Lite. So far, we love it and are having a ball with it. However, we are having a strange intermittent issue. I’m hoping some of you might have some ideas. 

For some reason, at totally random times, the tv in the tab turns itself on. It’s happened a half dozen times or so on both shore power and when connected to the tow vehicle (ie, the tab has power and the tv is in its standby state with the little blue light on). No one is in the tab, the window shades are closed, and the tv remote is just sitting on the table. So there’s no chance for the remote to get pressed accidentally or for a stray IR signal to activate the tv. 

Have any of you experienced anything loke this?
The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,417
    edited January 2019
    That's a new one--I don't recall that issue going by here in the past.
    Short of a haunting, I'd suspect something in the TV's flimsy power switch is getting bridged under the right conditions (vibration, temperature, etc.)
    The 12V power is supplied by a cable (like a laptop power cable) plugged in at the back of the unit. You might yank that when the TV is not in use. If the TV still comes on by itself then I'll buy your ghost story!  :-o
    This won't exactly solve the problem, but as an added benefit, once you pull that cable, you won't have to look at the annoying little blue standby light.  ;-)

2015 T@B S

• Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    The Jensen has alarm clock you can set. No idea if you can set the tv to come on as an alarm clock. 

Jeannie
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    The alarm is a very interesting possibly.

the answer?  Someone?
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Possible a loose power wire somewhere?
  • Options
    targtarg Member Posts: 81
    edited January 2019
    Hadn't thought about the Jensen.  But, when the tv has spontaneously come on, the Jensen has remained off.  So I don't think that's the culprit.
    A loose wire maybe, but each time this has happened, the T@B has been unoccupied and stationary, so that's not likely either.
    I also noticed that when I plugged a phone into a "wall wart" that was plugged into one of the 110 outlets, the phone would blink on and off as if the power were intermittent.  This leads me to suspect something is wonky with the converter and causing power fluctuations that are tripping the tv.
    More study and investigation is in order.  Keep the ideas coming!
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ

• Options
    dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    Like ScottG was suggesting....maybe an exorcism!

If it’s not moving and there is no flexing or moving then I would expect a defective electrical component.  Have you called NuCamp to see if they have experienced this issue?  That’s helped me in the past and my dealer corrected the problem.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• Options
    If it becomes something I can consistently replicate, I'll get with the dealer or NuCamp - it just hasn't risen to that level yet.  And there's still plenty of time left on the warranty so I'll wait until I have a laundry list and get it all fixed at once.  :)

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    When we first got our T@B the radio would come on at a specific time every day. Somehow the Jensen alarm got set. If it’s the same time every day, check the alarm setting. Otherwise call Ghostbusters.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I have a similar issue with the fantastic vent fan in our 40].  When I plug into shore power the fan comes on, even with the vent cover closed.  In my former 320 the overhead LED light would come on when we plugged into shire power. I attributed it to the sensitivity of the LED.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    aprille4aprille4 Member Posts: 15
    We had it happen to us twice.  Last time we camped it didn't happen.
  • Options
    Well, on the one hand I’m glad this sounds somewhat common. But on the other hand, it’s quite disconcerting that it sounds somewhat common. 

I did have one local camper friend ask if the main battery cutoff was on or off when this happened. His theory is a floating ground or voltage fluctuation in the converter due to the battery disconnect being on causes it.

In my case, both times this happened, the cutoff switch was on so that shore power would keep it charged.