Options

T@B 400 2018- any way to add a microwave?

We are considering buying a t@b 400.  We would really like a microwave that are now in some of the 2019 models but don't want to pay the higher price. Any creative ideas in how to store or add a microwave to a model without one?

Thanks,
Mary and Jerry

Comments

• Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    The main problem with adding a microwave to the 400 is that you have to give up storage space, which is already at a premium. If you've already decided the trade-off is worth it, you can investigate 12V microwave ovens that are designed to be hardwired into the 12V electrical system if you decide it works for you.  Alternatively you could get a normal AC microwave that will only work when on shore power. You just need to make sure in either case that you don't overtax your electrical system and either blow a fuse (on 12V) or trip your circuit breaker (on shore power) when you use the microwave.

For places to install the microwave, I think your best bet is probably the cabinet next to the refrigerator. The over-the-counter cabinets are probably not deep enough for a microwave.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    My wife and I also considered adding a microwave, but we decided it would be too expensive to do. We got a cheap toaster oven at Walmart instead, which we use when we are on shore power at a campground.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    edited January 2019
    We had a 2018 and bought a small microwave from Walmart.  Kept it on the bed when traveling and put it on the stove cover to use it or put it on a table outside.  We never use the stove. We ordered our 2019 with the built in microwave and are glad we did. It is a lot more convenient and worth the money to alleviate the hassle of moving it for travel, again for use.  It simplifies travel and camping for us.
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    I will just add that we don't do any cooking in the camper except with the microwave.  It is easy to premix eggs with a little cooked sausage or bacon at home and store them in a plastic bottle to cook them like scramblers in a bowl in the microwave.  Instant oats and grits too.  Dinner meals are usually grilled outside.  If it rains you can easily cook hot dogs or sausages in the microwave.  We do carry an electric kettle to heat water for tea and coffee.  We also have the smaller instant pot but have not yet used it.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    While you do lose a cabinet with the built in MW, you can still store lightweight stuff there when not in use, paper plates, towels, etc. Our 400 on order has the MW option checked.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    What we did was cull things that we never used in the last year.  We have a set of cookware we ditchedi and a lot of other stuff. It's probably easier for us because we don't boondock but with the drawer under the fridge, under counter and under sink cabinets as well as the overhead we found we had plenty of storage with the microwave  installed
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    mjpalmermjpalmer Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.  We really need to decide if the microwave is worth the money.  
  • Options
    TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    I would think that to add one would be fairly easy to do.
  • Options
    ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    I just placed an order for a 400 last week and added the microwave along with the solar panel/inverter option.. Besides added convenience I'm also thinking of the trailer's resale value. 
    2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
    2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
    Tampa, Florida
  • Options
    ToulaToula Member Posts: 26
    We have a 2019 T@B 400 with factory installed 200 amp solar with inverter. We also have the microwave that came with the 400. Unfortunately, the inverter won't run the microwave without shore power. As Maxwell Smart used to say in the TV show.. "Missed by this much!"  A great idea but I consider this a major fail by the factory engineers. A slightly smaller microwave would work so I'm pondering replacing it.

Toula
    2019 T@B 400 -- 2017 Toyota Tundra
    South Louisiana
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    So, the installed inverter is inadequate for the provided microwave?  Curious, were you trying to run anything else in addition to the microwave via the battery?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM That is correct. The Highpoint microwave requires 1350W in it's specifications.  The AIMS Power Pure Sine Wave inverter is rated at 1200W continuous power with Surge power of 2400W. The microwave will operate for about 3 seconds, assume that's the surge, then it trips 100% of the time. Only one outlet is wired to the inverter so absolutely nothing else was on the load. 

Luckily, the inverter will handle our Keurig B30 coffee maker as it requires 700W. 

We do love our T@B 400... if this issue was rectified we'd have the perfect rig!

Toula
    South Louisiana
  • Options
    @Toula, any idea if nuCamp is aware of this?
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM

I'll give NuCamp a call this week. I've been researching since my post.  Looks like the next size up would handle it. 

Toula
    South Louisiana
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    And why I opted out of factory inverter. Going to add a 2000w later.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Wow, very interesting!!  Thanks for all the input.  I hope nucamp takes care of your problem with the inverter.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    I have a "700W" microwave in my 320.  It actually draws 900W at times.  It's powered by a Harbor Freight 2000/4000W (peak) inverter when boondocking.  Make sure you leave a little wiggle room when sizing the new inverter if one is needed. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I was considering adding a permanently installed MW in our 2018 400.  I was considering the space in the top of the closet.  Available elect and space.  The MW I would use states not for built in application.  The built in MW's need ventilation that the standard ones do not have.  Instead, I made a portable table that fits on the front of the bed and is simple to install and remove.  The MW sits on it when needed and plugs in beside the bed in the storage area.  It is out of the way and usable there.  This also frees up much appreciated counter space.  When it is time to use the bed, the MW goes back up on the counter.  For us, the MW is the most used cooking item used.  We also carry a small convection oven, Induction cook top and George Forman grill.  We all use things differently and this is what currently works for us. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    With the size batteries in the 400 you might be able to use a higher rated inverter. Most boondockers I know carry a generator for major applia
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I would say the MW and electric kettle are our two most used appliances with the toaster #3.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    The portable table sounds like a good idea.  Do you have any pictures of it in use?   Would appreciate seeing it.  Thanks
  • Options
    All the information about the inverters has been very helpful.  Thanks everyone :)
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    MJpalmer,  here are a couple pics of the first MW Table and it has since been refined.  Not able just now to get the current table pic but this will give you an idea.  The table in these pics slides under the mattress and sits on top of it.  The MW sits on the table and plugs in beside the bed.  When not needed it goes on a cutting board on top of the stove.  Simple but keeps the counter available to use.  Will include the pics of the new table as I can.  Fred
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    Very clever use of PVC!
  • Options
    Hi Fred,  Thanks for the pictures!!  What a great idea.  I love that there is a little room beside the microwave for a cup, etc.  Also love the little tiki table in the dinette area.  So cute and practical!!  Thank you so much for the pics.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Search "custom cabinets for the solo traveler" for an example of a slide-out microwave shelf.  Not sure if there is a location in the 400 for this type of application. Also search Pinterest for possible ideas.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.