Options

Was thinking of taking a trip in April to May, but...

mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
We have been thinking about taking a trip from April to May in Utah and Colorado to visit national parks and other areas of scenic interest, but it looks like temperatures may sometimes be below freezing at night and I don't want to have to winterize while I am on the road. Also, many of the campgrounds in Colorado don't open until later in May. Anyone have any experience in these states in April/May?
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Last year we traveled from Ohio to Utah mid-March to mid-April with our CSS.  We had intervals of overnight freezing temps, but we never had problems with the TaB.  We kept the heat on, used antifreeze in the gray/ black tanks and sometimes the shower trap and knew that it takes a long time to freeze 11 gallons of water.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    KalamazookimKalamazookim Member Posts: 5
    You also might want to check the specific places you want to visit. I was surprised to find that many parks were still closed when I was in that area two years ago. 
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    I am a native---you WILL be winter camping still at that time of year for sure.  I would not want to de-winterize--just do dry camping.  Yes, a number of campgrounds will still be closed at that time--will still have a lot of snow.  We have had a great snowfall this year in the mountains, at least.  It will still also be cold/freezing weather, and it won't just be "sometimes"--you will have freezing.  If you like the snow and can dry camp you might find some campgrounds at lower elevations that may be open.  Keep researching and have a great time if you do end up "snow" camping :) 
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    Oh--forgot to say--I do believe that Barbour Ponds in the St Vrain campground off I-25 between Denver and Longmont is open year round.  It is @ 30-45 minutes North-West of Denver.  It has a series of ponds where I'm sure you would see wildlife year round.  One section has full hookups, one has just electric and water, I believe---with dumpstation on the way out.  It does NOT have a lot of trees unless you get a spot on the North-West end of the campground.  They have had to do a lot of restoration on the south end of the campground because of the flood in that area several years ago and it took out a lot of the beautiful trees & camping areas.   It is not in the mountains, however, but for a camping area that feels secluded from Denver it is nice.  I would also suggest you camp in the area furthest West because it is secluded, but actually quite close to      I-25 which has 24/7 non-stop traffic.
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited January 2019
    Not a native, but wish I was. Besides St. Vrain State Park, there's a few County parks closer to the foothills that are open.  A few hundred year round sites scattered near Estes Park (Hermit Park), Central City (Golden Gate Canyon), Ft. Collins (Horsetooth Reservoir), etc.

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    @DougH-- sorry I don't know.  You might try to contact @jkjenn on this site-- I believe she camps alot around Colorado & lookup Creativity RV on YouTube-- she also camps alot in Colorado.   The problem with any camping area in the mountains that time of year will be if the roads in have been plowed. My family owns property up above Red Feathers lake and we have to send someone up in a 4 wheel drive before the first holiday weekend in the spring to see if the roads are passable.  Hope you find what you are looking for 😀

Woohoo!
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    DougH said:
    @lkc001; I'm planning on doing a week or two of snow activities closer to Nederland next week.  I don't need utilities as long as the two tanks of propane hold out (have solar).  Do you happen to know if there are some year round campgrounds closer to the mountains?  I'd be tempted to park at a USFS campground, but with the amount of snow lately, I'm not sure if any of the access roads will be plowed before March (with the shutdown). 
    Yoyr best options are not going to be too close. The first and probably closest, least fuss will be the Boulder County Fairgrounds. The second are commercial parks in Loveland or Golden. Nederland will have too much snow to deal with and not likely to have been plowed out. As an FYzi, the Good Sam trip planner allows you to filter year round CGs.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    @jkjenn. Great info— thanks!
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    @lkc001 @jkjenn THANK YOU!  I did more checking on UC Public CG and each campground's reservation system and changed up my previous post to show some options a bit further into the hills.  I used to routinely drive into the backcountry and sleep in my car or a local motel to do snow-shoeing or BC XC for the last 20 years...  but this is my first year trying it with the T@B in tow. I just love the quiet peace and serenity of traipsing through the Rockies in the winter. I drive slow, never drive into 6"+ unplowed anything, have mostly avoided being in any avalanches thus far, and have chains and a winch with me... so should be fine.

• Options
    @DougH— yes it is beautiful in the mountains in the winter— I’m putting your UC Public CG in my notes file😀. Sounds like you are aware of conditions & are safe about where you won’t drive into.
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    There's quite a few Colorado commercial parks open in winter (thanks @jkjenn for the Good Sam filter... that should help @mandt too), and since winterized, that would save going into town for the typical $5-10 daily public shower fee. 

I briefly looked at Tiger Run in Breckenridge ($$$$$), but they have a 20 foot RV length minimum to keep the teardrop riff-raff at bay. I think that's mostly an ownership RV park anyway.

• Options
    @DougH— keep the teardrop riff-raff at bay—LOL
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    I ended up at Peacock Meadows near South Fork.  Level spots, strong WiFi, heated water taps at each site, gorgeous dining / kitchen / laundry / bath / shower complex in the "Saloon".  9F now shortly after sunset, and the Alde electric can't keep it warm on the "1" setting, but I can always go to "2" or turn up the 700W supplemental heater near the bathroom floor (and I have a 0F sleeping bag).

Pardon the bath shot, but the RV park has a two of the nicest full bath and shower setups with high end fixtures I've ever seen in an RV park.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Nice facilities @DougH.  You paid for the electric, use it!  You can always turn down the thermostat.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    That is a very nice bathroom.  If you ever get a chance to stay in Kodachrome State Park, you can add to the "great bath houses" collection.  They had the nicest shower areas!

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Stay below 7000 feet east of the continental divide or western CO.  Lot's of nice places to spring camp along the front range.  Many great state parks.  In the summer and early fall, Summit County is heaven for me.  I've instructed my wife to spread my ashes in the Ten Mile Creeks from the foot bridge at Frisco CO. 
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.