Camping in our 400 and the temp is supposed to drop from 48* to 28* one night and back to 40's next

BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
edited January 2019 in Camping & Travel
day. I plan to disconnect the fresh water hose but wondering if I should drain all the water lines for one night and run antifreeze through the system.  Will be using the Alde heat. Any experienced cold weather T@bbers have any suggestions?
BigGrover
2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
Central Alabama

Comments

• klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Drain your black and gray holding tanks if you can and maybe pour some antifreeze in them to keep the exposed dump lines from freezing.  Fresh water should be fine.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    MichiganMike just posted this to another thread.  Very relevant to your question:

" I had considered the tank heating pads for our 400 but decided against it as we've camped in the mountains without any issues and in below freezing temperatures.  I have had the hose freeze up and learned a few years back that you are better off filling the water tank up when temperatures are below freezing as water does hold heat for an extended period of time.  If temperatures don't plummet dramatically for let's say an extended period of time 8-10 hours and things get above freezing the following day you should be fine."

I think a large body of water takes a long time to freeze and if you are heating the cabin, the inside lines are safe.  I am not sure what is exposed under the 400, but if the shower trap is hanging down, you may consider putting some antifreeze down that trap.  Other than that, wait until the next day when everything has warmed up a bit before you attempt to work your sewer gate - those have been known to freeze. 
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Thanks Sharon_is_Sam
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Temperatures dropped while we were out in Utah last March.  Nothing ever froze up, but we used antifreeze in the CS shower trap as that was the only plumbing with potential to freeze (besides the gate valves) that was exposed. 
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    I’ve posted pictures of the underside on another post regarding tank heaters.  The only exposed plumbing underneath is the exit piping from the three tanks and the fresh water drain line.  

You have 2” of insulation between the bottom of the black tank and the outside.  There is no insulation nor any real way to insulate the grey or freshwater tanks.  The gate is your primary concern but at 28 degrees I wouldn’t worry.  

Im heating the grey tank and drain piping because I’m shooting for constant teens temps to operate in.  In that scenario, freshwater will be drained but black and grey will still be usable.  

The shower drain goes right into the Grey tank and is above the floor.  As to freshwater piping inside, Alde should keep you just fine for that short a period of time and temp BUT I have and would drain just because 28 may become 22 pretty quickly.   
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Thanks Awca, we are in South Alabama, but an  Arctic front is pushing through tomorrow.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama