Options

Best Weight Distribution Hitch for T@B 400?

Comments

• Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    1”x1” square aluminum channel fits under tub and acts as spacer.  Drill a hole where the tub bolts go and cut out a notch in the bottom where the tail brackets go.  My spacer was made with steel but in hindsight I should have just used stock  aluminum. 
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    MandoBikerMandoBiker Member Posts: 22
    @Oldcootcamper, we recently had a fastway e2 WDH installed on our BD Lite.  You can get link plates that fit the frame just right, and we went with the round bar version because it can be installed properly with the link plates as close as 20" from the coupler.  From the coupler to the front of the diamond plate tub is about 24", so the round bar link lates can be installed in front of it.
  • Options
    OldcootcamperOldcootcamper Member Posts: 23
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited April 2019
    If towing a 400 with an F-150 with the Max Towing Package, is sway control necessary?  I don’t think WDH is necessary as I’ve put 800 lbs of mulch in the back and you can barely detect any squat.
  • Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    @Oldcootcamper, we recently had a fastway e2 WDH installed on our BD Lite.  You can get link plates that fit the frame just right, and we went with the round bar version because it can be installed properly with the link plates as close as 20" from the coupler.  From the coupler to the front of the diamond plate tub is about 24", so the round bar link lates can be installed in front of it.
    I finally got around to installing my e2 this weekend.  Same set up as yours.  I found that to make adequate room for the specialty link plates and the really long bracket bolts that come with the standard kit, the maximum distance aft of the coupler the brackets can be clamped to the frame is about 22" (measured center of coupler to center of outside link plate).  You do have to remove the tub temporarily to install the brackets that far back but if you've measured reasonably carefully, it goes back on the tongue without modification.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    TNOutback said:
    If towing a 400 with an F-150 with the Max Towing Package, is sway control necessary?  I don’t think WDH is necessary as I’ve put 800 lbs of mulch in the back and you can barely detect any squat.
    A WDH is probably not necessary for a truck like yours.  But that's not to say you won't benefit from one.  It's a question of comfort in your situation.  A trailer tongue is not like mulch.  When you load mulch, you have the ability to distribute the load relatively evenly directly above the rear axle.  That's why you don't get much squat.  A trailer tongue is different.  It exerts downward pressure at a single point--the hitch--that is much further behind the rear axle.  Because the load point is further aft, the same weight creates much more leverage which can cause the rear to sag, and worse, weight to come off the front axle.  For a truck as big as an F150, you probably won't experience an unsafe condition.  But you probably will experience some minor hop or porpoising when you go over uneven surfaces.  It's just an issue of comfort if you want to go through the trouble of installing a WDH to reduce that sensation.
  • Options
    @JEB, nice, glad you got it setup.  I'm pretty happy with mine so far.  Mine was installed by dealer, but I was just looking at those long bolts the other day and wondering how they got them on there with the tub in the way.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    @JEB, nice, glad you got it setup.  I'm pretty happy with mine so far.  Mine was installed by dealer, but I was just looking at those long bolts the other day and wondering how they got them on there with the tub in the way.
    Yep.  They had to remove the tub basically for one reason.  You can install the brackets on the frame loosely, slide them back toward the tub and then continue to torque down the nuts with an open-ended wrench.  But there's no way to get a torque wrench with a deep socket on the top bolts without removing the tub unless you install the brackets further forward--too far forward in my opinion.  It's a minor inconvenience but the result is a completely no-drill installation.

I'm happy with my e2 as well.  The trailer feels more controlled.  I was on the fence--my Jeep already towed the 400 pretty well--but I think the installation was worth the trouble.
  • Options
    I actually had my E2 installed as well but given the weight of the tongue and after discussions with the manufacter and my trailer installer went with a larger WHD that requires a slight modification to the tub because the minimum distance from the hitch was 27”.  That requires the tub to be raised using lightweight aluminum brackets.  Actually worked perfectly and gives the tub a bit more front endge support. 

That said I won’t be loading much more than the single propane tank and a pail with some hoses in there.  I’m petty well maxed out on the tongue weight with my TV.  But the WHD makes a huge difference in ride and handling. 
  • Options
    I actually had my E2 installed as well but given the weight of the tongue and after discussions with the manufacter and my trailer installer went with a larger WHD that requires a slight modification to the tub because the minimum distance from the hitch was 27”.  That requires the tub to be raised using lightweight aluminum brackets.  Actually worked perfectly and gives the tub a bit more front endge support. 

That said I won’t be loading much more than the single propane tank and a pail with some hoses in there.  I’m petty well maxed out on the tongue weight with my TV.  But the WHD makes a huge difference in ride and handling. 
    Interesting.  Did you go with trunnion bars?  If so, then I understand why you had to go to 27”.    If you went with round bars, you could have gone down to 20” as long as you kept tongue weight below 800 lbs. 
  • Options
    yes that’s correct. What was interesting is that the guy that that my trailer hitch installer talked to at Fastway told him that they (Fastway) had been getting a number of calls from individuals and installers recently regarding questions on which WDH to use for the TAB 400 - like  we all called at once. Lol

Anyway im happy with the installation.  I’ll try to post a pic if I can figure out how. 

• Options
    SeattleAlanSeattleAlan Member Posts: 24
    edited August 2019
    @LSkrabut @MandoBiker @Oldcootcamper

Can folks using the e2 hitch to tow at T@B 400 let us know which one you use?  I see their smallest round bar is rated for 600lbs/6000lbs and the trunnion is 450lbs/4500lbs (tongue weight/trailer weight). 

Sounds like the round bar one fits better?

Thanks!
    soon to have 2020 T@B 400
    2019 Ford F-150

• Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    I use the 600lb round bar version. I had to get the correct brackets on the 400 frame. I also ensure setting was for an approx 450 tongue weight. Staging a WDH is the key for proper use.

The brackets were at no cost exchange,  but I happen to live less than 15 miles from the manufacturer,  😎

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    I use the 600lb trunnion bar version which I had “my hitch expert” set up for me for at a 465lb tongue which is what mine weighed in at.

Interestingly the bar on one side slides off a bit sooner (as I’m raising the tongue) than the other, which indicates something being just a bit out of wack (uneven) as it relates to the tongue itself. 

Doesn't cause any issues that I’m aware of.  Maybe Uneven tire wear at some point. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I use the e2 600/6000 round bar.  There is a factory sticker on the frame that specifically says not to use spring bars in excess of 750 lbs.  I also recommend the round bar over the trunnion for this particular trailer because you can install the link plates as close as 20” from the coupler, which allows you to miss the tub.  With the trunnion bar, the allowable mounting range for the link plates is further aft, which requires you to raise the tub.  As mentioned above, you’ll also need to order separately 4 3/8” link plates for the L brackets which do not come standard with the kit.
  • Options
    @LSkrabut @Oldcootcamper @JEB

Thanks for your intel!  I'm getting a clearer picture of what's involved.  I didn't realize the round bar was shorter than the trunnion.

We are driving out of state to buy our T@B 400 then we are doing a couple week road trip back home.  So we are looking to get a bunch of our necessities set up before we have a trailer to look at to figure out some of these details.

So your input is much appreciated!
    2019 Ford F-150

• Options
    @LSkrabut @Oldcootcamper @JEB

Thanks for your intel!  I'm getting a clearer picture of what's involved.  I didn't realize the round bar was shorter than the trunnion.

We are driving out of state to buy our T@B 400 then we are doing a couple week road trip back home.  So we are looking to get a bunch of our necessities set up before we have a trailer to look at to figure out some of these details.

So your input is much appreciated!
    I’m not sure if it’s really “shorter.”  It has a different geometry which allows the link plates to be mounted closer to the coupler. 
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    As I recall, mine is set around a 25" length and since I am using it for a lighter tongue weight, works well for me towing and misses the plastic propane box.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    I use the Andersen WDH.  Really like it.  Wouldn't go back to the spring bar type.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    @gspdx
    Thanks. 
    I'll take a look at the Andersen WDH too.  Did you have to have a special connection swap for the c-channel frame?  What model are you using?

I see their fit guide:
    https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59717c92e6f2e15e9222f72c/t/5c632d2215fcc0e73e7309a4/1550003491232/WD+Hitch+Fitment+Guide+2019.pdf
    2019 Ford F-150

• Options
    @gspdx
    Thanks. 
    I'll take a look at the Andersen WDH too.  Did you have to have a special connection swap for the c-channel frame?  What model are you using?

I see their fit guide:
    https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59717c92e6f2e15e9222f72c/t/5c632d2215fcc0e73e7309a4/1550003491232/WD+Hitch+Fitment+Guide+2019.pdf
    If you go with the Andersen, 3343 is what you’ll need. But here is a downside—you’ll need to drill into the frame for the set screw. 
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    That's the one.  And you do need to drill a hole.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    Yup had to raise the tub but there is a minor added benefit to that.  Had to move the tub out 1/4 inch. All the water that sometimes would dump into the tub now drips off the top and down the back. 
  • Options
    Yep.  e2 round bar is the only WDH I know of that can be installed without any drilling or any relocation.  It’s plug and play for any dealer with the right tools. 
  • Options
    e2 is the way I've decided to go.....

To confirm:  sounds like the T@B 400 has 4-3/8" frame - so the e2 link plates need to be ordered to fit on the trailer, correct?

Many thanks to everyone help me through these details!  A few challenges without trailer in hand yet and a multi state road trip to home after purchase!
    2019 Ford F-150

• Options
    e2 is the way I've decided to go.....

To confirm:  sounds like the T@B 400 has 4-3/8" frame - so the e2 link plates need to be ordered to fit on the trailer, correct?

Many thanks to everyone help me through these details!  A few challenges without trailer in hand yet and a multi state road trip to home after purchase!
    Correct. 
  • Options
    CaschettaCaschetta Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2019
    I tow our 400 BDL with a 2011 Nissan Xterra (5000lbs rated) and no WDH. I think the Xterra is definitely on the smaller side of things as far as towing. We recently completed 3800 miles of highway, surface street, national park roads.....no problems at all. We were sure to put a fair bit of gear in the 400. Nothing on the tongue except the full propane tank. We did have a few things in the back of the Xterra but not much. We encountered major monsoon storm winds in AZ and Utah, plenty of big rigs ripping by at 75, up big hills, major descents. Yes, a waggle every so often but the 400 and the Xterra always stopped the waggle just as soon as it started. They worked surprising well together. I did install sumo springs to help bolster rear suspension on the X. They definitely help. But the whole WDH thing seems like overkill. I guess everyone's comfort level is different though. I've never hauled a trailer in my life so it was all new and after a 3800 mile first experience, I feel really confident in our X to continue to do the job and the TAB to continue to handle REALLY well without WDH.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    As you seem to acknowledge, “overkill” is a matter of opinion.  I have now had the opportunity to tow our 400 with two different tow vehicles, and to tow substantial distances with each both with and without a WDH.  I found in each case that the 400 was better mannered with the WDH than without it and that the improvement in each case was substantial enough that it was worth the hassle and the approximately 75 pound hit to payload capacity.  The improvement was more significant with our Jeep Grand Cherokee, notwithstanding the built-in load leveling air suspension, than it was with our Chevy Colorado, which is not surprising since the Chevy has about a 14” wheelbase advantage.  So, I am surprised that the Xtrerra—which also has a relatively short wheelbase—tows tolerably without a WDH.  But I’m glad your set up seems to be working.  

You might want to think about raising your hitch height, however.  You look a little nose down on the 400.
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Has anyone tried the Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch?  I used one with a 34' ~10,000# travel trailer and was very impressed with it, but think it might be overkill for something as small as a 400.  They have a wide selection of WD bars, so that part is not a problem, but the basic hitch is a bit of a beast.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    JEB said:
    As you seem to acknowledge, “overkill” is a matter of opinion.  I have now had the opportunity to tow our 400 with two different tow vehicles, and to tow substantial distances with each both with and without a WDH.  I found in each case that the 400 was better mannered with the WDH than without it and that the improvement in each case was substantial enough that it was worth the hassle and the approximately 75 pound hit to payload capacity.  The improvement was more significant with our Jeep Grand Cherokee, notwithstanding the built-in load leveling air suspension, than it was with our Chevy Colorado, which is not surprising since the Chevy has about a 14” wheelbase advantage.  So, I am surprised that the Xtrerra—which also has a relatively short wheelbase—tows tolerably without a WDH.  But I’m glad your set up seems to be working.  

You might want to think about raising your hitch height, however.  You look a little nose down on the 400.
    According to this answer from etrailer https://www.etrailer.com/question-97796.html, the weight of the WDH system itself does not need to be added to the tongue/hitch weight when determining your capacities.  I believe I've read this elsewhere as well.  Not sure it's correct, but curious what people here think since I've seen a lot of comments to the contrary here.