Alde at high altitude

We are going to the national parks in Utah with altitudes around 8,500 feet. We bought our 2016 320s used. Is there a way to determine if the high altitude fix has already been done to my trailer?
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350

Many T@B's don't experience any problems at higher altitudes.  For those that do, an additional propane regulator installed under the floor between the stock regulator and Alde unit in the cabin seems to work.  You would need to remove the black undercarriage covering to see if the additional regulator was installed on the frame.  The regulator is available from NuCamp for about $50.  There are a few threads on this topic.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    Search "Alde Freight Train." Page 4 starts the discussion of the additional regulator.
  • mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    is there a photos of what this regulator looks like?
    Yes, photos are included in the "Alde Freight Train" thread around page 4.
  • WhackedWhacked Member Posts: 6
    We did experience the "freight train" issue in Yellowstone last summer.  It was a combination of noise and inefficient running, with occasional not lighting and blow outs.  Really annoying.  I haven't purchased the valve yet but likely will this spring. The valve was only available from the UK and very expensive when I first looked.
    The "regulator" is available from NuCamp.  The "valve" is another possible solution that is available from the UK.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Whacked, we were in Yellowstone August of 2016 with snow flurries several days. Our t@b does not have the high altitude "kit" and we had absolutely no problems. I don't know if it has something to do with each machine's individual tolerances or the individual adjusting each machine to spec, but there seems to be a wide variance in alde performance straight off the production line. My trailers date of manufacture is April, 2016.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    @Whacked, we were in Yellowstone August of 2016 with snow flurries several days. Our t@b does not have the high altitude "kit" and we had absolutely no problems. I don't know if it has something to do with each machine's individual tolerances or the individual adjusting each machine to spec, but there seems to be a wide variance in alde performance straight off the production line. My trailers date of manufacture is April, 2016.
    I agree. My noise level was pretty tolerable but I was never sure if mine was quieter or if I was just more tolerant. I had the fix done and it is silent, now.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
    We installed this on our 2018 400. The instructions they send are for a 320 but the 400 was much simpler. You can no longer get them from new camp so now you have to pay the dealer mark up. Like 120% but it works like a charm.
  • stephengstepheng Member Posts: 109
    Is there a model number and manufacturer of the additional regulator?  Is there a NuCamp part number to use when ordering from a dealer?
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    You can contact nuCamp at Help@nuCamp rv.com and ask for the part number.  We had nuCamp install our high altitude device.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    stepheng said:
    Is there a model number and manufacturer of the additional regulator?
    @stepheng ; a request - - -
    Would you edit your signature to include your T@B year and model

It would be helpful for others responding to your questions.
    For example; starting with yr-2018 builds T@B's got the Alde Model 3020 which does not require the propane valve 'high altitude' modification (not that all Alde 3010's seem to have the issue)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+