Options

Using the T@B for storage while towing

judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
Our TV cargo area with 2nd row seats in the 3/4 down position isn't very large and with tools, tote with sewer items, cooler and a few other necessary items, we will be comfortably full.
The items I have in the T@B are lightweight:  bedding, single cup brewer, plastic ware, toiletries.  Frig  will be empty when towing.
Would you feel comfortable placing a plastic tote with a few cooking utensils, maybe a few 8 oz bottles of water, etc?
I don't want to be too technical and weigh items for fear of overload.
I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.
This may sound ridiculous, but I err on the side of caution .
Thank you.
Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

Comments

• Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I have put much more weight than you describe. Since I moved my spare tire up front on the frame I put some heavies in the rear to offset the additional tongue weight and the rest over the axle. Dry weight of T@B is about 1700 lbs. Axle rated at 3000 lbs. so you could add a lot of "stuff".
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    Thanks Lee/Scott.  DH moved the spare tire back to T@B under bed.  We plan to move to tongue but too many other problems to solve as well as our crummy weather.  May move to TV for this trip, but worry wart me imagines a sudden stop and it hitting me in the back of the head
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I'm loaded - Everything I need to cook inside (pots/pans/utinsils), food including canned good and fridge full, plus cleaning supplies, bedding, etc. - Can't imagine overloading. Just have to balance front to back for tongue weight.
  • Options
    Thank you, thank you!

• Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    Judymac, your Trailblazer can tow 4000 pounds, and 400 pounds tongue weight. Load away! (We also have a Trailblazer.)
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Thanks Doug and Mia.  Same tow weight as ours. Unable to recall tongue weight but I don't think it is 4,000.  Our Blazer is 12 yrs old, low mileage for many years as was just used in  climate weather.
    It has been a good one.  Just hope it stands tall for us when towing.

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318

I suggest if you plan on using the fridge, I would keep it full.  It is much more efficient to have it full where the goods can help hold the cool.

John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I keep most everything for camping in my T@B, including a full fridge.  My pots, pans, griddle, toaster oven, bedding, toiletries, lights, chairs, etc., ride in the trailer.  I wouldn't want to be moving it back and forth after arriving.  Sounds kind of pointless to me.  Weight is something to be aware of, though, and our Dutchmen frame isn't as beefy as the LG frame.  You all can haul more in  your trailer than those of us with a DM T@B.

Maybe I misunderstand tow capacity for the vehicle.  I didn't think it helped lessen your tow weight to store items in your vehicle instead of the T@B.  All weight is factored in regardless of where it rides, right?
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited April 2015
    Everything I need for cooking, eating, sleeping, clothing and hygiene etc stays in the T@B.  Food, other than fridge stuff, plus outdoor eq lives in the TV when moving.

As a matter of fact, just like my last RV, everything gets cleaned when I get back from a trip and put right back in the T@B or in the proper large bin ready to go back into the TV so all I have to do is pack clothing and food to take off again.

Truth be told, I do pack very light.  It comes from years of, and still doing it, traveling all over the country by motorcycle. 

• Options
    Anything I use inside the T@B travels in the T@B (except my bass) - Anything used outside (including the Visor) is in the TV
  • Options
    IACamperIACamper Member Posts: 109
    edited April 2015
    One of the reasons we moved from a tent to the T@B was so that everything (except food and clothing) would be packed and ready to go. Food and clothing are quickly stored inside before we take off. I don't like carrying a bunch of stuff in the tow vehicle. At the moment, everything I need for set up (power cord, step, awning, rug, chairs) rides in the aisle, but I have been considering going with Rad's and PXlated's method of putting those in the vehicle.
    Kristi Des Moines, IA 2008 T@B L
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited April 2015
    IACamper said:
    One of the reasons we moved from a tent to the T@B was so that everything (except food and clothing) would be packed and ready to go. Food and clothing are quickly stored inside before we take off. I don't like carrying a bunch of stuff in the tow vehicle. At the moment, everything I need for set up (power cord, step, awning, rug, chairs) rides in the aisle, but I have been considering going with Rad's and PXlated's method of putting those in the vehicle.
    One reason Val and I carry that outside stuff in the TV is because we stop and use the T@B for making and eating lunch on the road, and for a restroom at times when necessary.  I like the inside usable for us when traveling. 
  • Options
    I don't stop for lunch but have done quick one-nighters when enroute where I don't unhook. With all the stuff in the TV I don't have to unpack anything from the T@B, just climb in and sleep.
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    We don't store items in the T@B as we also like to stop for lunch and later for a cup of tea break.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    I don't stop for lunch but have done quick one-nighters when enroute where I don't unhook. With all the stuff in the TV I don't have to unpack anything from the T@B, just climb in and sleep.
    I am looking forward to fall travel, when I can get away with that.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Crystal, I think you are correct.  I don't want to overload the T@B and the items I were referring to were utensils, bedding, bathing, etc.  Although I do not desire moving things from trailer to TV, may have to move a small item or 2 at bedtime.  I won't be solo camping.

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    If you do decide to do it, be sure to secure the tote.  Stuff can really bounce around inside.  I don't keep loose totes in my T@DA for the exact reason stated by others--I like to be able to walk in and be ready for bed or lunch or whatever.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    It's amazing how bouncy things can get in the T@B. What seems minor in the TV isn't necessarily so back there.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Most of the posts I've seen here are folks that own LG T@Bs which do have adequate Cargo Capacity to load them up, however, a caution... those with Dutchmen T@B only have at most 400 lbs cargo capacity.
    For example, mine is 1710 Dry and 1930 Gross.
    So the stuff in my T@B are things that stay in there, and the inside is ready for me to open the door and go to bed. I have removed the table which helped on the weight, and I don't travel with water.  All of the outside stuff, chairs, rugs, awnings, all go in the back of the truck
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL