Options

Renogy 200W Flexible Solar Panel Suitcase

I have almost completed making a suitcase for 2 of the Renogy 100W bendable solar panels.  I need to add a couple clasps to keep it closed when not using.  I used some mahogany plywood and cedar strips to make the case along with brass screws and a stainless piano hinge.  It fits in the back of the Jeep and is fairly easy to transport.  Phase two is make an easel to hold it at the proper angle.  I should have that done in the next couple weeks.  Any thoughts?

John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    As long as it doesn't get too heavy it's a good solution. I have the 120 Zamp and it comes with a nice zipper case but there are days when I'm tired/weak (a pansy) from a long day on the road and it feels like it weighs a ton.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Great idea, I think I would try to find something lighter like Masonite or another material. Thoughts?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Mahogany and cedar are fairly lightweight woods. Good choices, John. I've been considering two of the Renogy 100 watt panels with aluminum frames, but I hadn't gotten far enough along as to how to assemble the suitcase. As far as assembling the easel, Zamp uses two flat pieces of aluminum with a slot cut in each. A bolt and nut are used in the slot to tighten to set the angle. It worked very well this winter in Arizona on my 80 watt Zamp suitcase panel. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Verna said:
    Mahogany and cedar are fairly lightweight woods. Good choices, John. I've been considering two of the Renogy 100 watt panels with aluminum frames, but I hadn't gotten far enough along as to how to assemble the suitcase. As far as assembling the easel, Zamp uses two flat pieces of aluminum with a slot cut in each. A bolt and nut are used in the slot to tighten to set the angle. It worked very well this winter in Arizona on my 80 watt Zamp suitcase panel. 

Verna, I had 2 of those. There are beasts in terms of size and weight.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Thanks, Jenn. I honestly hadn't paid any attention to weight. I'll need to look at that and do some figuring. I appreciate the info. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Verna - My Zamp doesn't have a nut to adjust the leg angle - It's either legs down or legs up.
    Wish the legs were longer and adjustable. If I need it more vertical I set it up against the T@B or TV.
  • Options
    PlXLated and John, here's a picture of the 80 watt on top of the Silver Shadow at a BLM campground near  Quartsite last month. This was the best angle to catch some rays. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Look at this picture from January when I was camped in a friend's driveway near Tucson. The adjustable legs are more visible.  The 2nd picture is from Coyote Howls at Why , AZ. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Mine doesn't have that lower crossbar.
  • Options
    I just watched a video from RV 101 that Mike posted on the LG forum. The legs on yours are extendable to different lengths so the angle can be changed. You can pull them all of the way out, or shorten them to change the angle. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Hmmmmm - Only if I take out two screws on each leg and then reattach them lower in the groove. Doesn't make for a quick or convenient adjustment.
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318

Ok, I got a chance to weigh the suitcase this evening.  Without the clasps no the side opposite to the hinge to hold it shut (have not yet arrived) it weighs 19.5lbs.  Not too bad!  It measures 44 1/8 by 24.  I will use some old tube socks to cover the MC4 connectors when it is in transport to protect the panel. 

My educated guess of the weight of the easel will be 12-15 lbs.  I do not have it fully designed yet.  If you look at the top and bottom edge of the case, you can see where the 1/4" plywood extends beyond the strips encasing the panel by 1/2".  I did this to have it fit into a cross brace at the bottom and the top of the easel.  I envision having the panel up off of the ground 3-5 inches to reduce dirt splashing on it and reduce grass and other shading of the panel.

Regarding tilt angles I charted out angles for various locations and time of year.  It is interesting how much change there is to the angles.  The Excel SS is attached.  It is deciding how much latitude I want in slowing down the final design.

Having fun now!

John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    John, you got me thinking about design and I think I would try to find the plastic they use for chicken coop flooring. It is very strong and very light and can be cut to size. Of course, I need to buy a panel first.

• Options
    Jenn - How in the world did you discover chicken coop flooring - or don't we want to know :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - How in the world did you discover chicken coop flooring - or don't we want to know :-)

I almost said, "Don't ask me how I know..." lol.

Actually, when I was contemplating putting a floor in the storage basket, a friend recommended it. He had seen people recommended it for a DIY roof rack.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Ahhhhhh - Didn't know there was such a thing.
  • Options

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Nice work John as I like creativity and the ability to adapt for our personal uses.  I do believe that if I had a couple of flexible panels I'd mount them permanently to the trailer.  In the last 5 years they have come quite a ways and the technology is improving and the price is coming down too as others enter the arena.  

I like the Renogy panels (have a 50 watt panel mounted on my garage) as they are innovative and have competitive pricing too.  But certainly cannot complain about my 1st generation Zamp 80 watt panel.  I upgraded my solar charge controller and that made all the difference in the world and charges up my battery more efficiently.  

Thanks for sharing and documenting your work as this is what inspires others and there are some great minds out there who look at things differently.  I have learned more from other individuals and via the feedback and input, was able to upgrade some of my projects.  

Great stuff and keep those thinking caps on!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Hi Mike thanks for your kind comments.  Regarding mounting panels on the T@B, or portable as in my case, I think there tradeoffs in both cases.  With it mounted on the camper, you change the look of the camper which one may or may not like that change.  You also gain charging while driving, and no setup.  If that is your setup you need to be sure you camp in the sun.  I also wonder about shading on top from the fan cover and the sides of the camper.  These high efficiency mono crystalline panels are supposed to be very sensitive to shading.  I like the idea to have the camper in the shade and the panel in the sun.  I have a 50 ft 8 guage cable.  Here in the Midwest, some of the campgrounds may not have much view to the sun.  I also like the idea of being able to move it to meet the needs of the day.  The portable solution worked out great for us last summer.  Now if we had a TADA, I would mount on top and have my portable solution!  Having fun now.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    I agree 100% with John.

• Options
    Agree - I'm currently on a little lake, T@B's sitting under a nice cottonwood in the shade and the panels are in direct sun. Charging all my devices at the moment, Can't necessarily do that when all I have is shade or partial sun.
  • Options
    I have just one thing to say about chicken coop flooring, just make sure you start with new!

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options