Need New Jack

Kathy_JoKathy_Jo Member Posts: 3
edited April 2015 in Products and Accessories
I had my first "oops" yesterday.  I didn't latch the hitch and my 2014 T@b S came loose when I hit a bump in the road.  The brakes worked as expected, so that's a relief.  And, it's easy enough to lift the tongue and get it back in place - and locked this time!  Problem is that the jack wheel won't go on because the shaft was dragging on the concrete.  I'd like to have the jack replaced locally, but I don't see that I can order it from T@b Store.  Any ideas?

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Oooops - We all have our ooopses. Luckily we usually don't make the same Ooops again.
    Betting you could call the factory and get one shipped.

Part of my routine is I use a hitch lock. if that's on and locked, it ain't coming off. Secures the T@B when away also - Or at leaste they can't drag it away using the hitch.
  • cam42cam42 Member Posts: 7
    Kathy,

Before you replace the jack you might want to see if you can just cut off a short section of the jack and drill a new hole. Check out this post, scroll down until you see the cutting of the jack to lower the tongue. http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/658/room-in-the-garage-but-cant-get-through-the-door#latest 
    Cam & Holly, 2015 T@B MaxS White & Yellow, GA, 2012 Ford Explorer, Tent
  • Kathy_JoKathy_Jo Member Posts: 3
    Great idea to cut the shaft and drill a new hole.  It's not bent, so that should work.  Also a great idea on the hitch lock and making it part of my routine.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

It's great than nothing was hurt.  Yes, cutting the shaft definitely works to take that little oops off of the end.  I had to have mine cut off because I tried to back up a concrete driveway that had too great of an angle and the shaft dragged on the concrete. 

I have a 5 step check list for the rear of the truck:  1) 7 pin connector, 2) left chain, 3) right chain, 4) padlock for hitch, 5) remove jack wheel.

I had a friend chuckle this winter after she saw me counting them out on my hand.  It works for me.  It may work for you.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I'm pretty sure you can get one at Camping World...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I bent my jack the day I drove it home from the dealer. Easy to replace and the best price is Amazon. 3 bolts and you are done.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• RadRad Member Posts: 516
    It is easy to find a new jack if you decide to go that route. Any rv, boating, trailer type place should have a standard jack that would fit.  If you cut off a section you can always buy a jack foot that is adjustable if you need more length.  
  • deputydogdeputydog Member Posts: 103
         Check out "jack-me-up".  It is an accessory added to your jack that allows the Total removal of the jack stem once hitched to tow veh.  Purchased on amazon.  Google shows installation which is bolt on using 3 bolts.  I like mind because I throw jack in back of veh. when towing and this allows me to swing my rear door all the way open without interference by jack stem and handle.  About  $65.00.

TV is a 2007 Jeep Liberty. Own 2015 T@B Maxx s/wet-bath white green. St. Clair Shores, MI.

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Love mine also - Allows me to open the back gate on the Jeep while hooked up.