Options

trailer dolly question

2»

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have never lubricated anything on my Purpleline, but I'll be honest, I don't know if there is a maintenance requirement. The only thing I've done is when I get new tires, I check the adjustment of the distance on where it is installed. I've done that twice now. I don't recall any maintenance requirement in the paperwork that came with.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Hmmm, OK, just found a copy of the owner's manual online, and it says this:

Maintenance:

To prevent the battery from becoming totally discharged during long periods of inactivity it must be disconnected and recharged before using again. Please check regularly that the rollers of the drive units are free of any dirt, or debris that may have been picked up from the road. Any further maintenance is not required. Please check regularly the distance between the rollers and the tyres. In the neutral (fully disengaged) position this must be 20 mm. When your trailer is stored for an extended period of time (over winter for example) it is recommended to remove the leisure battery from the trailer. Make sure you keep it charged to ensure it is in good condition the next time you want to use it. Once a year have your Purple Line® trailer mover maintained and visually inspected. This inspection must include all the bolt/nut connections, the cables and electrical connections and lubrication of movable parts/joints. In case of any failures or problems, please contact your Purple Line® Trailer Mover supplier

So I guess I need to find out what needs to be lubricated and how :)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @Mouseketab LOL, well, it’s reassuring to know it’s performed so well for so long without ever being maintained!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    northwestinatabnorthwestinatab Member Posts: 22
    Hi again everyone,

I am writing with an update on the TrailerValet.  I tried it out in a parking lot at home and found it remarkably easy, so did not practice any further.  Got to my sister's and it worked absolutely flawlessly.  It does require bending over a bit, and a small amount of exertion to keep it going in the direction you want, but nothing at all like the manual style trailer dolly I tried first.  My sister was astonished at how easily it pushed the camper at a 90 degree angle with very little maneuver room.  It is a concrete pad though, and I do not think it would work as well (or perhaps not even at all) on gravel or grass.   For concrete or pavement, I highly recommend as long as physical condition allows.  
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @northwestinatab Excellent, glad you found somthing that works well for your situation! Out of curiosity, is there any real slope in your path to your parking spot, or is it basically flat?
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    northwestinatabnorthwestinatab Member Posts: 22
    It is pretty flat.  A slight slope on the narrow alleyway entrance into the backyard but it didn't affect the mover other than my having to push the trailer to get it moving backwards a little (very little) when otherwise it basically rolls itself just with my turning the crank.  The trailervalet site does recommend that if working with a slope, you only move the trailer uphill as moving it downhill (if any significant slope) would require a lot more braking.  It has a brake that works well, but again, not designed for much incline.  I guess what I would say is that compared to the manual trailer dolly I used before (see post above), the TrailerValet works a million times better.  I could not budge the trailer even on level concrete with the other one.  But, if I was trying to get the camper up a hill or working on gravel or grass, I don't think it would be very useful, or safe for that matter.