Options

Brand new to 2018 TAB320S

ajheilajheil Member Posts: 5
We just bought a new 2018 TAB 320S.  We are so excited to try it out but it is our first camper and I feel like we don't know what we are doing.  Any tip sheets of towing, set up. etc. would be appreciated!
Looking to purchase a battery tender to keep in garage when camper is in our storage space in between trips... What kind is best?  Also, need a surge protector- What kind should we get?

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @ajheil congratulations and welcome to the Tab family! I've got a 2017 320S and LOVE it! Up on the top right is a search box. It will be very helpful in finding answers to your questions. There's usually more than one way to do things, depending on your preferences and camping style. Read as much as you can, ask lots of questions since there are no dumb questions. We all learned how to do all this once, too. As far as surge protectors go I use one I attach at the power pole and use a bike cable and lock to keep it from wandering off. So far it's worked for me and it fit my budget. Others prefer the hard wired one in their Tab. Before I picked up my Tab I had three lists. 1-what is necessary for basic operation and security. 2- What I need to camp, the basics. 3-Whatever makes me happy to see in there. That helped my budget a lot! Many people overbuy gear before they really know what they need. The wish lists are endless...I promise! I use my Amazon wish list to store ideas of gear/supplies I might need. That way I don't have to remember where I saw what. I don't buy it all, but it's nice to have for reference! Also know that any goofs and blunders are really tomorrows campfire stories, as we all have them! Have fun, ask lots of questions and enjoy your journey!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    @ajheil, @Homebodyatheart gave you good advice regarding the search box and lists for essentials vs nice to haves.  Regarding the battery tender, if you have a stock wet lead acid battery, then a simple Battery Tender by Deltran will do.  If you upgrade batteries, then you need to assure that your trickle charger has ability to charge to your battery specs.  Regarding the surge protector, if you plan to camp a lot with an electric supply you can protect the TaB electric the best by using an Electrical Management System like the one made by Progressive Industries.  Many parks on limited budgets have failed to maintain their electric systems and tge TaB is protected against low voltage, etc with the more advanced EMS.  If you plan to boondock and only use electric occasionally, I can see buying a simple surge protector and a Non-contact Voltage Tester.

Check out the categories on the left of the Home page to read some of the discussion threads.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2019
    @ajheil.  Are those Blue ox brackets for a weight distribution hitch? If so, the 320 frame can bend from the stress they create. Not recommended or needed for use on a Tab.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited March 2019
    ajheil said:

Looking to purchase a battery tender to keep in garage when camper is in our storage space in between trips... What kind is best?  Also, need a surge protector- What kind should we get?
    Assuming that you don't have electrical power at your storage space there are ways to maintain your battery without having to bring it home every time that you leave it in the storage yard.
    If you don't have power, be sure to use the battery shut off switch whenever you leave your trailer. If you don't have a shut off switch, pull the fuse on the line between the battery and the trailer. I park in a yard where there is no power supply, so I use this 10w panel to keep the battery topped up. https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-58025-Amorphous-Solar-panel/dp/B006FW3G2G
    If you live in a cold climate you might need to bring the battery home when you park it for the winter. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab