Options

Fixed awning on the T@B 400?

RyanAndLuluRyanAndLulu Member Posts: 20
edited March 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
Has anyone added a fixed awning to their 400? I have just about every Pahaque awning/tent and I never seem to use them. I would like to pull up to a campsite and pull out the awning (yes- I am lazy). I would also like something bigger than what Pahaque offers. The only solution I can come up with is to put a roof rack on the trailer and attach something like a Yakima or Thule awning to the rack. Problem is it will probably look really ugly :bawling:

Girl Glamper | Austin, TX | 2018 Land Rover Discovery | 2018 T@B 400 |
Partner in Crime: Black pug (Lulu)

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    No, I’ve not been tempted to put anything straight across the curved outline of the T”B 400. I purchased the teardrops and then the T@B’s because I like the curved lines. The straight line would look strange, it eouldn’t Compliment the shape and would look totally out of place, in my honest opinion. 

My Visor takes less than 10 minutes install, including staking it to the ground or to water jugs. 

There is a competitor who has the option of a straight visor on a curved camper, and it just totally looks out of place. 

(These are my personal opinions.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Just wait a bit-someone will develop a remote controlled canopy which will erect itself and then collapse into a tight little bundle with a single push of a button. Of course, batteries will not be included, but they'll come with a solar powered option.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    jgram2 said:
    Just wait a bit-someone will develop a remote controlled canopy which will erect itself and then collapse into a tight little bundle with a single push of a button. Of course, batteries will not be included, but they'll come with a solar powered option.
    It's a real possibility.
    https://www.winfieldsoutdoors.co.uk/camping/tents/inflatable-tents/
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Cool! Maybe someone could convince them to make 1/2 of the Kamper Kielder, cutting off the darkened "sleeping chamber", thereby creating an inflatable awning. Then, with a shop vac style motor, you could have a pretty quick setup and takedown process. And the curve is similar to the T@B! Thanks @Marceline
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    edited March 2019
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    If the Brits ever moved into the USA camping market, it would be awesome.  I've bought tents and sleeping bags from the UK, and the range of options is just incredible.

I'm imagining a spring loaded shade that would slide into the Keder rail, and then just be pulled out to extend. Or just attach a roller shade to the "tarp trackers" that slide into the Keder rail, and then extend.  It may not cover the entire rail, but it could work.  

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,506
    I wonder if that sunshade material comes on a retractable roller?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Check this out from Walmart.

• Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    Further to comments about a quickly extended and furled awning, i’ll try to describe a concept I have in mind. I have yet to draw this up yet, but may do so.
    Concept Awning.
    1. Three tubes that extend across the roof of the tab are fastened to the roof with hardware using the keder rail for a fastening point. One tube aft, one in the middle and the the third forward. The distance between the tubes forms the extent of the awning,  or front to back length, with the middle position forming the ridge of the awning. Each tube has a storage element that is fastened to the roof and an interior tube that extends.
    2. The rolled up awning is contained in the front or back tube. Pull the awning out, fold down the leg support, the pull it back or forward over the extended othe tubes and fasten to the third tube. The awning is rolled around another tube that fits inside the main tube.
    3. The other two tubes also pull out to support the rolled out awning.
    4. The pulled out elements would have fold down adjustable legs to support the outer ends of the tubes.
    5. To roll up: unfastened the secured end; insert crank into the storage tube, and roll up. Fold up legs and return rolled up awning and other extended supports into their tubes. Insert tube caps and voila. QED.....perhaps.
    6. The concept is simple but as with most things, the devil will be in the details.
    Richard
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,435
    Another potential issue of a fixed awning would be the potential gap between the awning and the camper. Not a big deal if you are only looking for shade, more of a problem if rain protection is your main objective. The PahaQue awning seals pretty well in the T@B's keder rail to keep the entire underside protected.
    2015 T@B S

• Options