HI! I'm new, interested and have lots of questions. Regarding TaB 400, possibly the Boondocks Lite

Hi All,

My first question is - is an inverter and a battery power converter the same thing?

Thanks!

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Welcome to the Forums.  And, no.

All the Tabs have a converter, no matter what model.  Any RV that you can "plug in" to shore power probably has a converter. 

My Tab 320 did not come with an inverter, but I use a portable one (like you can use in a car cigarette lighter plug.)    Some owners have installed inverters, connected to the battery.

And, someone will have to chime in on whether all the 400's have an inverter installed.

And, here is a short video (two minutes) that 'splains the difference in a converter and an inverter.  Lots to learn, but don't worry, there is plenty of help available.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    On a TAB 400 the inverter is an expensive option.  An inverter converts 12v dc power from the battery to 120vac.  The only outlet where this power is available is under the television right by the bed.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited March 2019
    @sabocat, all of the TaB’s lights and power appliances (except the air conditioner) are wired to run off of 12 volts DC, hence the need for the converter to be able to run your appliances while on shorepower (120 volts AC).  When installed as an option or used as a portable unit, the inverter allows a non-DC wired appliance to run off the battery (microwave, toaster, hair dryer, blender, etc).  The 400 battery(s) supplied by nuCamp has a large capacity relative to the stock 320 battery supplied by the dealer.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Restless_NativeRestless_Native Member Posts: 116
    On the 2020 400 model, the inverter is now standard. 
    Amanda, Ft. Myers, FL Ag@tha 2017 T@B CS-S  , TV: 2013 Chevy Equinoz LTZ