Options

Towing tire pressure for Chevy Colorado TV or similar light truck

ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
Hi all. So as I was getting ready to leave my first overnight stay with my new 400 I noticed the rear tires on my Chevy Colorado Z71 looked low.  They have the proper "trailerless" pressure but I'm getting conflicting info. The ride feels a bit spongy in the rear so I'm thinking the standard 35 lbs of pressure is insufficient. Enlighten me, please.
2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
Tampa, Florida

Comments

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I run 40 PSI in the rear tires and 35 in the front in our Frontier.  I also added the Timbren SES to the rear to stabilize and level the rear.  Simple to install and works great for us.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    It seems that I heard somewhere (and you when a statement begins with this disclaimer is worth what you paid for it...) that prescribed tire pressures are a compromise between ride comfort and handling/wear. Personally, I find a little discomfort keeps me alert, so I routinely run my tires a few pounds above what is says on the door pillar, regardless of whether I'm towing or not. I'm careful to stay within the maximum pressure for which the tire is rated, and I keep an eye open for uneven wear.
    YMMV. Feel free to light me up if you have something to add or if I've said something you disagree with!  ;-)  
    2015 T@B S