Options

Tub mounted bike rack

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,527
Found this over on the TaG forum.  I don’t think I have seen this idea here, so I thought I would share a few pics and a link which includes a variety of TaG mods.  Of course it requires an upgraded tub😏

https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/615/latest-mods-bike-racks-solar-dual-six-volt-batteries#latest

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• Options
    b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    That looks like a huge amount of weight added to the tongue. Slick-looking, though! Now that tongue weights have come down on the 400, I'm back to looking for solutions to keep our bikes out of the 4Runner.
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 309
    I considered something like that for my setup.  I already have a 6" tool chest on the A-frame, but did not like the idea of putting that much swinging weight on the lid of the tool chest.  It sure would have solved my problem though.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2024 TaB 400 with all the option packages (full lithium), 
    2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, Max Tow Package.  
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @klenger That and every time you need to access the tool chest you need to remove the bikes from the carrier/mount.   
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    edited May 2019
    cool idea.  don't have that big of a tub, but sorta wonder if it's possible to mount a rack on the regular outback metal tub.
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Consider the possibility that his/her tv has a 300-350 tongue capacity, and the fact that this is a T@g with a tongue weight of 100lbs. That’s a whole lotta stuff you can add to the front!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited May 2019
    Tongue weight is critical as it impacts the integrity of the frame.  Keep in mind that road bounce, trailer weight and dynamics come into play during travel and when torque is transferred across the frame, strange things occur (e.g., twisting of the frame, added force and the distribution and transferring of weight) that can create metal fatigue and a catastrophic event.  There are documented past occurrences with the trailer frames and this is why tongue weights were established and are important.  

When I bought my refurbished 2015 T@B Max S the frame had been replaced because the prior owner had loaded a generator, gas cans and some planking, tried offsetting the added weight by offsetting weight behind the rear axle and as a result the frame broke while he was traveling up to Alaska.  So be careful, inspect the frame and adhere to specified tongue weights.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Tongue weight is critical as it impacts the integrity of the frame.  

I just searched through the manual- and I cannot find anything that specifies limits on tongue weight.  In addition to the 140lb spec'ed dry weight of the 320- the Battery and Propane add another 100lbs.  and two 6gal water tanks, another 100lbs.  Is that too much?  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @morey000 nucamp won’t specify tongue weight, only gross trailer weight. Utilize the 10-15% rule to maintain safe tongue weight, that also is LESS than your TV maximum tongue weight.  When you have done this, test drive carefully at highway speed to insure you are properly loaded, and shift weight in the trailer accordingly if not. Speed wobble will occur if you are tongue light/tail heavy.  You are always better off with less then any suggested weight requirements. Also, be carful if you shift items to your TV as you do not want to exceed you gross combined weight, as stipulated by your TV mfg. don’t forget to calculate passenger/pet weight into your calculations. 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback