Options

Lithium Batteries: Are they worth the cost, yet?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
There have been a few folks who have gone ahead and converted to lithium. Given AGM battery life is an anticipated 10-12 years and you could go through 2 sets of AGM for the cost to convert to lithium, and that many using AGM are using 2 golf cart batteries giving us 225ah, is weight the primary reason you are going with lithium?

Not looking for an argument, just trying to identify what other advantages there are with lithium, at this point. Because of all of the photo, drone, and laptop charging I do and my ARB fridge, I also use a GZ Yeti lithium in my TV.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    You can use most of 100% of a lithium battery at 1/2 the weight.  On a small RV like the T@B that makes a significant difference.   
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    klenger said:
    You can use most of 100% of a lithium battery at 1/2 the weight.  On a small RV like the T@B that makes a significant difference.   
    But you still have less battery capacity than 2 6v GC batteries. So, is weight the only factor? If so, I imagine if you have TV with lower tow capacity that would help but if you have a robust TV not really a factor.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Faster recharging, lighter weight, more usable energy, heavy discharge rates without any bad effects, partial charge doesn't harm battery, more charge/discharge cycles and maybe others. I question 10-12 years on an AGM, my experience has been shorter life than that. Here is an hour long presentation going over pros and cons. https://youtu.be/PZ7HMRReZKY
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2019
    @jkjenn Weight and amp hour capacity were the main drivers for us to convert our T@G.  We even went to a 5lb propane bottle to get weight off the tongue.  The 100AH LiFePO4 we converted to has 1/3 more capacity and weighs 31lbs compared to 47lbs.  The manufacture has a 10 year warranty and I hope it makes it, if not I hope they are still in business to make good on the promise.  We go off road and boondock a lot, we were finding our lead acid was not keeping up and adding another 47lbs of lead to the tongue was not an option.  Cheap, no, but is proving to fit our mission.  I think all of us need to make modifications to fit our mission profile. No bad mods, just different needs.
    All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.
  • Options
    There is a big assumption that the lithium will live up to the longevity promised. Chris and Cherie from Technomadia were early lithium adopters and found that their setup was not living up to expectations and that both charge rates and temperature have a big impact on longevity, so I am still a little cautious. 

Unless you spend more than 4-6 weeks a year in your T@b or have another unique power need, it is hard for me to see the value of the cost in our tiny trailers. I am not criticizing those who have, I am actually grateful for those willing to be the Guinea pigs for us and working out some of the bugs.

I bet in another year or two the cost and quality of the rv lithium setups will really make these a more attractive option. However, lithium is a limited element, which the Chinese tightly control, so it could quickly go the other way, too. They were actually, working on technology to extract it from seawater, but that is a more expensive way to mine it.

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Did I read they can't be charged at freezing temps, or else you need a heating blanket?
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    BrianZ,

Correct, LiFePO4’s can’t be charged below 0C.  They can be discharged below that temp tho.

I can’t seem to find the WFCO charger compatibility statement from Battle Born again.  It was one of their comments to a question on their website.  
    2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA