Dont forget the toilet!

4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
Well...seems I forgot to blow the water out of the toilet, or just didn’t do a very good job. The flush valve failed, ie leaked. It has a fitting that breaks and is unrepairable so you have to buy a new flush valve-$22.00h(or I did as be the case). At the same time, I have installed a petcock. If you ever wondered what the shoilet looks like with out the toilet...see below! Replacement part to arrive on Tuesday.
TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
2018 320S Outback

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Major bummer. Did you add pink stuff and leave some in the bowl?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @jkjenn pink stuff in the bowel, yes. At this late stage, I don’t remember if I blew the line out to the toilet, or if I did, I just didn’t blow all the water out. It’s the flush valve that cracked, not the toilet itself. It’s a 22.00 replacement part, but removing the camode is required.  

2 stool nuts and up pops the commode, just like a home version. I’ve done this 1000 times in homes, thus I happen to have the stool cork(red thing in the drain) keeps sewer gases from kicking your _ss
    2018 320S Outback
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    edited April 2019
    @jkjenn, pink stuff in the toilet bowl wouldn't have helped. I think @4ncar was referring to the toilet flush valve inside the toilet. It is housed inside the pedestal at the back of the bowl, inside the toilet. We made the same mistake our first winter, and the DH had to replace the valve before our t@bs first birthday. Been there, done that!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
    edited April 2019
    Thing is, is I know better! Lol this is second winter, but just goes to show you can never be too carful in your”process”. And yes, as mentioned, flush valve.  
    2018 320S Outback
    I have never blown it out, to my recollection. How would you do it?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

@jkjenn air compressor method.
    2018 320S Outback
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @jkjenn, same as the other valves, pressurize the lines, then open the valve - flush, in this case. A few times.

I think I froze ours the second year...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Just keep the handle pulled as you blow air through the plumbing.  You can get it really dry.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2019
    I have been fortunate!!

• grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2019
    4ncar said:
    2 stool nuts .... _ss
    Haha!  (Childish humor on my part)
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks for sharing, @4ncar.  I share your sentiment that one can never be too careful, as it's easy to overlook something.  Also a bit comforting to know that even experienced people make mistakes & are still learning.

Wondering what the main reason is for installing a stopcock on the waterline.  On a home toilet it's handy for shutting water off while replacing tank parts, but here I can only see its utility for a leaky toilet valve when you must keep other plumbing working, which seems unlikely.  Better to have it than not, I guess.

Seeing your second photo & hearing that toilet removal sounds fairly simple, plus seeing that blank wall, makes it tempting for me to think about cutting a bigger access door below the existing one to fix my plumbing leak back there.  
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    @BrianZ
    We did have a leaking water control valve. The toilet could slowly fill and overflow if not checked. Since we were hooked to city water I had to keep turning it off and on until I was able to find a new valve. That’s when I added the shut off. SharkBite to the rescue. I definitely would recommend it as a preventative measure. I did post the idea a couple of years ago.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    We followed Dale's lead and had a shut off installed.  Cheap insurance.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Very cheap! It has allowed me to finish the sanitation process while I wait for the valve. And yes, in the off chance that there is a faulty valve such as Dale has described, you can still use the convienence, and shut it off when not in use.
    2018 320S Outback
    @BrianZ I am a jack of all trades, but a master of none! I learn like everyone else...the hard way!! Lol.
    2018 320S Outback
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited April 2019
    Yep, @4ncar, I think of myself the same way.  Ok, I am convinced about the valve, since it's cheap & easy.  An overflowing toilet is never a good thing!
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    @grubbster “... he said nuts...” 😂 
    2018 320S Outback
  • b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    edited June 2019
    4ncar said:
    "@jkjenn pink stuff in the bowel, yes..."
    I'm not sure that's the right approach, either... ;)

[Sorry, us guys after 50 start to revert back to our teenage years at a rate of 2:1; I'm currently 42 heading for 40...]
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
    4ncar said:
    "@jkjenn pink stuff in the bowl, yes..."
    I'm not sure that's the right approach, either... ;)

[Sorry, us guys after 50 start to revert back to our teenage years at a rate of 2:1; I'm currently 42 heading for 40...]
    To keep the seal from drying out. Any other ideas?